The complementarity between calls and messages in mobile telephony
This article estimates the price elasticities of the demand for mobile telephone calls and the demand for messages for Portugal. We use a panel of individual level data. In order to account for the unobserved individual heterogeneity and for the data censoring, we estimate a Tobit model for panel data with individual random effects. The demand for calls and the demand for messages are inelastic. Calls and messages are complements.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rappoport, Paul N. & Taylor, Lester D., 1997. "Toll price elasticities estimated from a sample of U.S. residential telephone bills," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 51-70, March.
- Greene, William, 1999.
"Marginal effects in the censored regression model,"
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 43-49, July.
- Heitfield, Erik & Levy, Armando, 2001. "Parametric, semi-parametric and non-parametric models of telecommunications demand: An investigation of residential calling patterns," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 311-329, September.
- Rodini, Mark & Ward, Michael R. & Woroch, Glenn A., 0. "Going mobile: substitutability between fixed and mobile access," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5-6), pages 457-476, June.
- K. Andersson & � Foros & F. Steen, 2009.
"Text and voice: complements, substitutes or both?,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 18(6), pages 1231-1247, December.
- Kridel, Donald J. & Rappoport, Paul N. & Taylor, Lester D., 2002. "IntraLATA long-distance demand: carrier choice, usage demand and price elasticities," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 545-559.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iepoli:v:20:y:2008:i:3:p:279-287. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.