Core-stable rings in auctions with independent private values
We propose a semi-cooperative game theoretic approach to check whether a given coalition is stable in a Bayesian game with independent private values. The ex ante expected utilities of coalitions, at an incentive compatible (noncooperative) coalitional equilibrium, describe a (cooperative) partition form game. A coalition is core-stable if the core of a suitable characteristic function, derived from the partition form game, is not empty. As an application, we study collusion in auctions in which the bidders' final utility possibly depends on the winner's identity. We show that such direct externalities offer a possible explanation for cartels' structures (not) observed in practice.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- d'Aspremont, C. & Gerard-Varet, L. -A., 1982.
"Bayesian incentive compatible beliefs,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 83-103, June.
- Marshall, Robert C. & Marx, Leslie M., 2007. "Bidder collusion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 374-402, March.
- Francoise Forges & Enrico Minelli & Rajiv Vohra, 2000.
"Incentives and the Core of an Exchange Economy: A Survey,"
2000-22, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Forges, Francoise & Minelli, Enrico & Vohra, Rajiv, 2002. "Incentives and the core of an exchange economy: a survey," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 1-41, September.
- FORGES, Françoise & MINELLI, Enrico & VOHRA, Rajiv, 2001. "Incentives and the core of an exchange economy: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers 2001043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Philippe Jehiel & Benny Moldovanu, 1996.
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(1), pages 84-98, Spring.
- Patrick Bajari, 2001. "Comparing competition and collusion: a numerical approach," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 18(1), pages 187-205.
- Lebrun, Bernard, 1997.
"First Price Auctions in the Asymmetric N Bidder Case,"
Cahiers de recherche
9715, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Lebrun, Bernard, 1999. "First Price Auctions in the Asymmetric N Bidder Case," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(1), pages 125-42, February.
- Bernard Caillaud & Philippe Jehiel, 1998. "Collusion in Auctions with Externalities," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(4), pages 680-702, Winter.
- Mailath, George J. & Zemsky, Peter, 1991. "Collusion in second price auctions with heterogeneous bidders," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 467-486, November.
- Ray, D. & Vohra, R., 1993.
"Equilibrium Binding Agreements,"
21, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- FORGES, Françoise & MINELLI, Enrico, .
"A note on the incentive compatible core,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1523, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Robert H. Porter & J. Douglas Zona, 1992.
"Detection of Bid Rigging in Procurement Auctions,"
NBER Working Papers
4013, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hafalir, Isa E., 2007. "Efficiency in coalition games with externalities," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 242-258, November.
- Waehrer, Keith, 1999. "Asymmetric private values auctions with application to joint bidding and mergers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 437-452, April.
- Francoise Forges & Jean-Francois Mertens & Rajiv Vohra, 2001.
"The Ex Ante Incentive Compatible Core in the absence of wealth effects,"
2001-01, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Francoise Forges & Jean-Francois Mertens & Rajiv Vohra, 2002. "The Ex Ante Incentive Compatible Core in the Absence of Wealth Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1865-1892, September.
- FORGES, Françoise & MERTENS, Jean-François & VOHRA, Rajiv, 2001. "The ex ante incentive compatible core in the absence of wealth effects," CORE Discussion Papers 2001001, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Roger Myerson, 2004.
"Virtual utility and the core for games with incomplete information,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
659, Econometric Society.
- Myerson, Roger B., 2007. "Virtual utility and the core for games with incomplete information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 260-285, September.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5454 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rajiv Vohra, 1997.
"Incomplete Information, Incentive Compatibility and the Core,"
97-11, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Vohra, Rajiv, 1999. "Incomplete Information, Incentive Compatibility, and the Core," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 123-147, May.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/158 is not listed on IDEAS
- Graham, Daniel A & Marshall, Robert C, 1987. "Collusive Bidder Behavior at Single-Object Second-Price and English Auctions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(6), pages 1217-39, December.
- McAfee, R. Preston & McMillan, John., 1990.
726, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Martin Pesendorfer, 2000. "A Study of Collusion in First-Price Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 67(3), pages 381-411.
- Marshall Robert C. & Meurer Michael J. & Richard Jean-Francois & Stromquist Walter, 1994. "Numerical Analysis of Asymmetric First Price Auctions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 193-220, September.
- Ray, Debraj, 2007. "A Game-Theoretic Perspective on Coalition Formation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199207954, December.
- Riham Barbar & Françoise Forges, 2007.
"Collusion dans les enchères. Quelques apports des jeux coopératifs,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 58(5), pages 965-984.
- Francoise Forges & Riham Barbar, 2007. "Collusion dans les enchères: quelques apports de jeux coopératifs," Post-Print hal-00360742, HAL.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5452 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:gamebe:v:73:y:2011:i:1:p:52-64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.