Corporate philanthropy in the US stock market: Evidence on corporate governance, value relevance and earnings manipulation
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Huang, Pinghsun & Zhang, Yan & Deis, Donald R. & Moffitt, Jacquelyn S., 2009. "Do artificial income smoothing and real income smoothing contribute to firm value equivalently?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 224-233, February.
- Holger Daske & Luzi Hail & Christian Leuz & Rodrigo Verdi, 2013. "Adopting a Label: Heterogeneity in the Economic Consequences Around IAS/IFRS Adoptions," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 495-547, June.
- Ran Zhang & Jigao Zhu & Heng Yue & Chunyan Zhu, 2010. "Corporate Philanthropic Giving, Advertising Intensity, and Industry Competition Level," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 94(1), pages 39-52, June.
- Louis Amato & Christie Amato, 2007. "The Effects of Firm Size and Industry on Corporate Giving," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 72(3), pages 229-241, May.
- Amihud, Yakov, 2002. "Illiquidity and stock returns: cross-section and time-series effects," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 31-56, January.
- Karl A. Muller & Edward J. Riedl & Thorsten Sellhorn, 2008. "Consequences of Voluntary and Mandatory Fair Value Accounting: Evidence Surrounding IFRS Adoption in the EU Real Estate Industry," Harvard Business School Working Papers 09-033, Harvard Business School.
- Aerts, Walter & Cormier, Denis, 2009. "Media legitimacy and corporate environmental communication," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Carroll, Archie B., 1991. "The pyramid of corporate social responsibility: Toward the moral management of organizational stakeholders," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 39-48.
- Boatsman, James R. & Gupta, Sanjay, 1996. "Taxes and Corporate Charity: Empirical Evidence from Micro-Level Panel Data," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 49(2), pages 193-213, June.
- Weisbrod, Burton A. & Dominguez, Nestor D., 1986. "Demand for collective goods in private nonprofit markets: Can fundraising expenditures help overcome free-rider behavior?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 83-96, June.
- Leuz, C & Verrecchia, RE, 2000. "The economic consequences of increased disclosure," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38, pages 91-124.
- Ding, Yuan & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas & Stolowy, Herve, 2007.
"Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: Measurement, determinants and implications,"
Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-38.
- Ding, Yuan & Hervé, Stolowy & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas, 2005. "Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: measurement, determinants and implications," HEC Research Papers Series 826, HEC Paris.
- Thomas Jeanjean & Hervé Stolowy & Y. Ding & O. K. Hope, 2007. "Differences between Domestic Accounting Standards and IAS: Measurement, Determinants and Implications," Post-Print halshs-00126772, HAL.
- Yuan Ding & Ole-Kristian Hope & Thomas Jeanjean & Hervé Stolowy, 2005. "Differences between Domestic Accounting Standards and IAS: Measurement, Determinants and Implications," Working Papers hal-00584707, HAL.
- Basu, Sudipta, 1997. "The conservatism principle and the asymmetric timeliness of earnings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 3-37, December.
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Lins, Karl V. & Roper, Andrew H., 2004.
"The effect of capital structure when expected agency costs are extreme,"
Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, October.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Karl V. Lins & Andrew H. Roper, 2001. "The Effect of Capital Structure When Expected Agency Costs are Extreme," NBER Working Papers 8452, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-329, May.
- Leuz, Christian & Nanda, Dhananjay & Wysocki, Peter D., 2003. "Earnings management and investor protection: an international comparison," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 505-527, September.
- K.V. Peasnell & P.F. Pope & S. Young, 2005. "Board Monitoring and Earnings Management: Do Outside Directors Influence Abnormal Accruals?," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(7-8), pages 1311-1346.
- Julie Cotter & Ann Tarca & Marvin Wee, 2012. "IFRS adoption and analysts’ earnings forecasts: Australian evidence," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 52(2), pages 395-419, June.
- Boatsman, James R. & Gupta, Sanjay, 1996. "Taxes and Corporate Charity: Empirical Evidence from Micro Level Panel Data," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 49(2), pages 193, June.
- Boatsman, James R. & Gupta, Sanjay, 1996. "Taxes and Corporate Charity: Empirical Evidence From Micro Level Panel Data," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 49(2), pages 193-193, June.
- Cormier, Denis & Magnan, Michel, 2007. "The revisited contribution of environmental reporting to investors' valuation of a firm's earnings: An international perspective," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3-4), pages 613-626, May.
- Aggarwal, Rajesh K. & Evans, Mark E. & Nanda, Dhananjay, 2012. "Nonprofit boards: Size, performance and managerial incentives," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 466-487.
- Brown, William O. & Helland, Eric & Smith, Janet Kiholm, 2006. "Corporate philanthropic practices," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 855-877, December.
- Healy, Paul M. & Palepu, Krishna G., 2001. "Information asymmetry, corporate disclosure, and the capital markets: A review of the empirical disclosure literature," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 405-440, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rusdiyanto Rusdiyanto & I. Made Narsa, 2019. "The Effects of Earnigs Volatility, Net Income and Comprehensive Income on Stock Prices on Banking Companies on the Indonesia Stock Exchange," International Review of Management and Marketing, Econjournals, vol. 9(6), pages 18-24.
- Frederik Plewnia & Edeltraud Guenther, 2017. "The benefits of doing good: a meta-analysis of corporate philanthropy business outcomes and its implications for management control," Journal of Management Control: Zeitschrift für Planung und Unternehmenssteuerung, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 347-376, October.
- Su, Zhong-qin & Xu, Yuyang & Xiao, Zuoping & Fung, Hung-Gay, 2020. "Directors’ prior life experience and corporate donations: Evidence from China," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 53(C).
- Lorenzo Dal Maso & Giovanni Liberatore & Francesco Mazzi, 2017. "Value Relevance of Stakeholder Engagement: The Influence of National Culture," Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 24(1), pages 44-56, January.
- AlHares, Aws & Ntim, Collins & King, David, 2018. "Block Ownership and Companies' R&D Intensity: The Moderating Effect Of Culture," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, pages 19-32.
- Pavlopoulos, Athanasios & Magnis, Chris & Iatridis, George Emmanuel, 2017. "Integrated reporting: Is it the last piece of the accounting disclosure puzzle?," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 23-46.
- Huang, Haijie & Lee, Edward & Lyu, Changjiang & Zhu, Zhenmei, 2016. "The effect of accounting academics in the boardroom on the value relevance of financial reporting information," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 18-30.
More about this item
KeywordsCorporate giving; Leverage; Litigation; Agency costs; Corporate governance; Value relevance; Earnings manipulation;
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics - - Accounting - - - Accounting
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finana:v:39:y:2015:i:c:p:113-126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620166 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.