Security of supply and retail competition in the European gas market.: Some model-based insights
In this paper, we analyze the impact of uncertain disruptions in gas supply upon gas retailer contracting behavior and consequent price and welfare implications in a gas market characterized by long-term gas contracts using a static Cournot model. In order to most realistically describe the economical situation, our representation divides the market into two stages: the upstream market that links, by means of long-term contracts, producers in exporting countries (Russia, Algeria, etc.) to local retailers who bring gas to the consuming countries to satisfy local demands in the downstream market. Disruption costs are modeled using short-run demand functions. First we mathematically develop a general model and write the associated KKT conditions, then we propose some case studies, under iso-elasticity assumptions, for the long-short-run inverse-demand curves in order to predict qualitatively and quantitatively the impacts of supply disruptions on Western European gas trade. In the second part, we study in detail the German gas market of the 1980s to explain the supply choices of the German retailer, and we derive interesting conclusions and insights concerning the amounts and prices of natural gas brought to the market. The last part of the paper is dedicated to a study of the Bulgarian gas market, which is greatly dependent on the Russian gas supplies and hence very sensitive to interruption risks. Some interesting conclusions are derived concerning the necessity to economically regulate the market, by means of gas amounts control, if the disruption probability is high enough.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vickers, John & Yarrow, George, 1988. "Regulation of privatised firms in Britain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 465-472, March.
- Markandya, Anil & Pemberton, Malcolm, 2010. "Energy security, energy modelling and uncertainty," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1609-1613, April.
- Lefèvre, Nicolas, 2010. "Measuring the energy security implications of fossil fuel resource concentration," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1635-1644, April.
- Albert L. Nichols & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1977. "Stockpiling Strategies and Cartel Prices," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(1), pages 66-96, Spring.
- Helm, Dieter, 2002. "Energy policy: security of supply, sustainability and competition," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 173-184, February.
- repec:mop:credwp:09.02.82 is not listed on IDEAS
- Massol, Olivier & Tchung-Ming, Stéphane, 2010. "Cooperation among liquefied natural gas suppliers: Is rationalization the sole objective?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 933-947, July.
- Costantini, Valeria & Gracceva, Francesco & Markandya, Anil & Vicini, Giorgio, 2007.
"Security of energy supply: Comparing scenarios from a European perspective,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 210-226, January.
- Giorgio Vicini & Francesco Gracceva & Anil Markandya & Valeria Costantini, 2005. "Security of Energy Supply: Comparing Scenarios From a European Perspective," Working Papers 2005.89, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Manne, Alan S. & Roland, Kjell & Stephan, Gunter, 1986. "Security of supply in the Western European market for natural gas," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 52-64, February.
- D. W. Bunn & M. M. Mustafaoglu, 1978. "Forecasting Political Risk," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(15), pages 1557-1567, November.
- Frederic H. Murphy & Michael A. Toman & Howard J. Weiss, 1987. "A Stochastic Dynamic Nash Game Analysis of Policies for Managing the Strategic Petroleum Reserves of Consuming Nations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(4), pages 484-499, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:39:y:2011:i:7:p:4077-4088. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.