Strategic bidding in vertically integrated power markets with an application to the Italian electricity auctions
In this paper we apply a model of optimal bidding behavior to the Italian wholesale electricity market under three hypotheses: i) costs of generation are private knowledge, ii) firms can be vertically integrated, and iii) firms can sell part of their production in advance with bilateral contracts. We first use optimal bid functions and market data to retrieve time-varying marginal cost functions, price–cost margins and Lerner Indexes of market power for a sample of Italian companies. Then, we use estimated costs and actual equilibrium prices to evaluate the elasticity of these series to fuel price variations and estimate a possible differential impact of the dynamics of input expenditures (fuel price above all) on generation costs and final electricity prices. Our estimates suggest that the elasticities of costs and equilibrium prices with respect to oil price are virtually the same and, therefore, that the auction mechanism per se does not limit the extent to which cost increases are transferred to prices.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Natalia Fabra, 2003. "Tacit Collusion in Repeated Auctions: Uniform Versus Discriminatory," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 271-293, 09.
- Parisio, Lucia & Bosco, Bruno, 2003. "Market Power and the Power Market: Multi-unit Bidding and (In)Efficiency in Electricity Auctions," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 10(4), pages 377-401, August.
- Bushnell, James & Mansur, Erin T. & Saravia, Celeste, 2008.
"Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure and Competition: An Analysis of Restructured U.S. Electricity Markets,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
13130, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- James B. Bushnell & Erin T. Mansur & Celeste Saravia, 2008. "Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure, and Competition: An Analysis of Restructured US Electricity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 237-66, March.
- James B. Bushnell & Erin T. Mansur & Celeste Saravia, 2007. "Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure, and Competition An Analysis of Restructured U.S. Electricity Markets," NBER Working Papers 13507, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitor Ciarreta & María Espinosa, 2010.
"Market power in the Spanish electricity auction,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 42-69, February.
- Aitor Ciarreta & María Paz Espinosa, 2003. "Market Power In The Spanish Wholesale Electricity Market," Working Papers. Serie AD 2003-22, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Espinosa Alejos, María Paz & Ciarreta Antuñano, Aitor, 2005. "Market Power in the Spanish Electricity Auction," DFAEII Working Papers 2005-04, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Lawrence M. Ausubel & Peter Cramton, 1995.
"Demand Reduction and Inefficiency in Multi-Unit Auctions,"
Papers of Peter Cramton
98wpdr, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 22 Jul 2002.
- Lawrence M. Ausubel & Peter Cramton & Marek Pycia & Marzena Rostek & Marek Weretka, 2014. "Demand Reduction and Inefficiency in Multi-Unit Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 81(4), pages 1366-1400.
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2001.
"Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2001/05, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Fabra, Natalia & Toro, Juan, 2005. "Price wars and collusion in the Spanish electricity market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 155-181, April.
- Juan Toro & Natalia Fabra, 2002. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Economics Series Working Papers 136, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2002. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Industrial Organization 0212001, EconWPA, revised 31 Aug 2003.
- Garcia-Diaz, Anton & Marin, Pedro L., 2003. "Strategic bidding in electricity pools with short-lived bids: an application to the Spanish market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 201-222, February.
- Parisio, Lucia & Bosco, Bruno, 2008.
"Electricity prices and cross-border trade: Volume and strategy effects,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1760-1775, July.
- Parisio, Lucia & Bosco, Bruno, 2006. "Electricity prices and cross-border trade: volume and strategy effects," MPRA Paper 473, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wolak, Frank A., 2010. "Using restructured electricity supply industries to understand oligopoly industry outcomes," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 227-246, December.
- Brunekreeft, Gert, 2001. "A multiple-unit, multiple-period auction in the British electricity spot market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 99-118, January.
- Allaz Blaise & Vila Jean-Luc, 1993. "Cournot Competition, Forward Markets and Efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Robert Wilson, 1979. "Auctions of Shares," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(4), pages 675-689.
- Boffa, Federico & Pingali, Viswanath & Vannoni, Davide, 2010.
"Increasing market interconnection: An analysis of the Italian electricity spot market,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 311-322, May.
- Federico Boffa & Viswanath Pingali & Davide Vannoni, 2009. "Increasing Market Interconnection: An analysis of the Italian Electricity Spot Market," Working papers 04, Former Department of Economics and Public Finance "G. Prato", University of Torino.
- Federico Boffa & Viswanath Pingali, 2008. "MIncreasing Market Interconnection: an analysis of the Italian Electricity Spot Market," Working Papers 17-2008, Macerata University, Department of Studies on Economic Development (DiSSE), revised Nov 2008.
- Hughes, John S. & Kao, Jennifer L., 1997. "Strategic forward contracting and observability," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-133, November.
- Natalia Fabra & Nils-Henrik von der Fehr & David Harbord, 2002.
"Designing Electricity Auctions,"
0211017, EconWPA, revised 31 Aug 2003.
- Bruno Bosco & Lucia Parisio & Matteo Pelagatti & Fabio Baldi, 2010. "Long-run relations in european electricity prices," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(5), pages 805-832.
- Catherine D. Wolfram, 1999. "Measuring Duopoly Power in the British Electricity Spot Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 805-826, September.
- Von der Fehr, N.H.M. & Harbord, D., 1992.
"Spot Market Competition in the UK Electricity Industry,"
09/1992, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik Morch & Harbord, David, 1993. "Spot Market Competition in the UK Electricity Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(418), pages 531-46, May.
- Emmanuel Guerre & Isabelle Perrigne & Quang Vuong, 2000. "Optimal Nonparametric Estimation of First-Price Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 525-574, May.
- Ali Hortaçsu & Steven L. Puller, 2008. "Understanding strategic bidding in multi-unit auctions: a case study of the Texas electricity spot market," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(1), pages 86-114.
- Frank Wolak, 2000. "An Empirical Analysis of the Impact of Hedge Contracts on Bidding Behavior in a Competitive Electricity Market," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 1-39.
- Crawford, Gregory S. & Crespo, Joseph & Tauchen, Helen, 2007. "Bidding asymmetries in multi-unit auctions: Implications of bid function equilibria in the British spot market for electricity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1233-1268, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:34:y:2012:i:6:p:2046-2057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.