Strategic bidding in vertically integrated power markets with an application to the Italian electricity auctions
In this paper we apply a model of optimal bidding behavior to the Italian wholesale electricity market under three hypotheses: i) costs of generation are private knowledge, ii) firms can be vertically integrated, and iii) firms can sell part of their production in advance with bilateral contracts. We first use optimal bid functions and market data to retrieve time-varying marginal cost functions, price–cost margins and Lerner Indexes of market power for a sample of Italian companies. Then, we use estimated costs and actual equilibrium prices to evaluate the elasticity of these series to fuel price variations and estimate a possible differential impact of the dynamics of input expenditures (fuel price above all) on generation costs and final electricity prices. Our estimates suggest that the elasticities of costs and equilibrium prices with respect to oil price are virtually the same and, therefore, that the auction mechanism per se does not limit the extent to which cost increases are transferred to prices.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parisio, Lucia & Bosco, Bruno, 2006.
"Electricity prices and cross-border trade: volume and strategy effects,"
473, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Parisio, Lucia & Bosco, Bruno, 2008. "Electricity prices and cross-border trade: Volume and strategy effects," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1760-1775, July.
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2002.
"Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market,"
0212001, EconWPA, revised 31 Aug 2003.
- Fabra, Natalia & Toro, Juan, 2005. "Price wars and collusion in the Spanish electricity market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 155-181, April.
- Juan Toro & Natalia Fabra, 2002. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Economics Series Working Papers 136, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2001. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2001/05, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Wolak, Frank A., 2010. "Using restructured electricity supply industries to understand oligopoly industry outcomes," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 227-246, December.
- Aitor Ciarreta & María Espinosa, 2010.
"Market power in the Spanish electricity auction,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 42-69, February.
- Aitor Ciarreta & María Paz Espinosa, 2003. "Market Power In The Spanish Wholesale Electricity Market," Working Papers. Serie AD 2003-22, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Espinosa Alejos, María Paz & Ciarreta Antuñano, Aitor, 2005. "Market Power in the Spanish Electricity Auction," DFAEII Working Papers 2005-04, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Boffa, Federico & Pingali, Viswanath & Vannoni, Davide, 2010.
"Increasing market interconnection: An analysis of the Italian electricity spot market,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 311-322, May.
- Federico Boffa & Viswanath Pingali, 2008. "MIncreasing Market Interconnection: an analysis of the Italian Electricity Spot Market," Working Papers 17-2008, Macerata University, Department of Studies on Economic Development (DiSSE), revised Nov 2008.
- Federico Boffa & Viswanath Pingali & Davide Vannoni, 2009. "Increasing Market Interconnection: An analysis of the Italian Electricity Spot Market," Working papers 4, Former Department of Economics and Public Finance "G. Prato", University of Torino.
- Garcia-Diaz, Anton & Marin, Pedro L., 2003. "Strategic bidding in electricity pools with short-lived bids: an application to the Spanish market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 201-222, February.
- Allaz Blaise & Vila Jean-Luc, 1993. "Cournot Competition, Forward Markets and Efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Natalia Fabra & Nils‐Henrik Fehr & David Harbord, 2006.
"Designing electricity auctions,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 37(1), pages 23-46, 03.
- Bruno Bosco & Lucia Parisio & Matteo Pelagatti & Fabio Baldi, 2010. "Long-run relations in european electricity prices," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(5), pages 805-832.
- Parisio, Lucia & Bosco, Bruno, 2003. "Market Power and the Power Market: Multi-unit Bidding and (In)Efficiency in Electricity Auctions," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 377-401, August.
- Emmanuel Guerre & Isabelle Perrigne & Quang Vuong, 2000. "Optimal Nonparametric Estimation of First-Price Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 525-574, May.
- Von der Fehr, N.H.M. & Harbord, D., 1992.
"Spot Market Competition in the UK Electricity Industry,"
09/1992, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik Morch & Harbord, David, 1993. "Spot Market Competition in the UK Electricity Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(418), pages 531-46, May.
- Frank Wolak, 2000. "An Empirical Analysis of the Impact of Hedge Contracts on Bidding Behavior in a Competitive Electricity Market," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 1-39.
- Natalia Fabra, 2003. "Tacit Collusion in Repeated Auctions: Uniform Versus Discriminatory," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 271-293, 09.
- James B. Bushnell & Erin T. Mansur & Celeste Saravia, 2007.
"Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure, and Competition An Analysis of Restructured U.S. Electricity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
13507, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James B. Bushnell & Erin T. Mansur & Celeste Saravia, 2008. "Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure, and Competition: An Analysis of Restructured US Electricity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 237-66, March.
- Bushnell, James & Mansur, Erin T. & Saravia, Celeste, 2008. "Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure and Competition: An Analysis of Restructured U.S. Electricity Markets," Staff General Research Papers 13130, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lawrence M. Ausubel & Peter Cramton & Marek Pycia & Marzena Rostek & Marek Weretka, 2014.
"Demand Reduction and Inefficiency in Multi-Unit Auctions,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 81(4), pages 1366-1400.
- Lawrence M. Ausubel & Peter Cramton, 1995. "Demand Reduction and Inefficiency in Multi-Unit Auctions," Papers of Peter Cramton 98wpdr, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 22 Jul 2002.
- Hughes, John S. & Kao, Jennifer L., 1997. "Strategic forward contracting and observability," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-133, November.
- Wilson, Robert, 1979. "Auctions of Shares," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(4), pages 675-89, November.
- Ali Hortaçsu & Steven L. Puller, 2008. "Understanding strategic bidding in multi-unit auctions: a case study of the Texas electricity spot market," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(1), pages 86-114.
- Brunekreeft, Gert, 2001. "A multiple-unit, multiple-period auction in the British electricity spot market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 99-118, January.
- Catherine D. Wolfram, 1999. "Measuring Duopoly Power in the British Electricity Spot Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 805-826, September.
- Crawford, Gregory S. & Crespo, Joseph & Tauchen, Helen, 2007. "Bidding asymmetries in multi-unit auctions: Implications of bid function equilibria in the British spot market for electricity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1233-1268, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:34:y:2012:i:6:p:2046-2057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.