Estimating Marginal Costs and Market Power in the Italian Electricity Auctions
In this paper we examine the bidding behaviour of firm competing in the Italian wholesale electricity market where generators submit hourly supply schedule to sell power. We describe the institutional characteristics of the Italian market and derive generators' equilibrium bidding functions. We also discuss the main empirical strategies followed by the recent econometrical literature to obtain estimates of (unobservable) optimal bids. Then, we use individual bid data, quantity volumes and other control variables to compare actual bidding behaviour to theoretical benchmarks of profit maximization. We obtain estimates of generators' costs to be used in conjunction with hourly market equilibrium prices to derive some measures of the extent of market power in the Italian electricity sector and of its exploitation by firms.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Bicocca degli Arcimboldi 8, 20126 Milano|
Web page: http://www.statistica.unimib.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parisio, Lucia & Bosco, Bruno, 2003. "Market Power and the Power Market: Multi-unit Bidding and (In)Efficiency in Electricity Auctions," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 10(4), pages 377-401, August.
- Robert Wilson, 1979. "Auctions of Shares," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(4), pages 675-689.
- Parisio, Lucia & Bosco, Bruno, 2008.
"Electricity prices and cross-border trade: Volume and strategy effects,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1760-1775, July.
- Parisio, Lucia & Bosco, Bruno, 2006. "Electricity prices and cross-border trade: volume and strategy effects," MPRA Paper 473, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kühn, Kai-Uwe & Machado, Matilde Pinto, 2004.
"Bilateral Market Power and Vertical Integration in the Spanish Electricity Spot Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4590, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kai-Uwe Kühn & Matilde Machado, 2004. "Bilateral Market Power And Vertical Integration In The Spanish Electricity Spot Market," Working Papers wp2004_0414, CEMFI.
- Susan Athey & Philip A. Haile, 2006.
"Empirical Models of Auctions,"
122247000000001045, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Susan Athey & Philip A. Haile, 2006. "Empirical Models of Auctions," NBER Working Papers 12126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susan Athey & Philip A. Haile, 2006. "Empirical Models of Auctions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1562, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bruno Bosco & Lucia Parisio & Matteo Pelagatti & Fabio Baldi, 2010. "Long-run relations in european electricity prices," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(5), pages 805-832.
- von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik Morch & Harbord, David, 1993.
"Spot Market Competition in the UK Electricity Industry,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(418), pages 531-46, May.
- Von der Fehr, N.H.M. & Harbord, D., 1992. "Spot Market Competition in the UK Electricity Industry," Memorandum 09/1992, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Emmanuel Guerre & Isabelle Perrigne & Quang Vuong, 2000. "Optimal Nonparametric Estimation of First-Price Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 525-574, May.
- Lawrence M. Ausubel & Peter Cramton & Marek Pycia & Marzena Rostek & Marek Weretka, 2014.
"Demand Reduction and Inefficiency in Multi-Unit Auctions,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 81(4), pages 1366-1400.
- Lawrence M. Ausubel & Peter Cramton, 1995. "Demand Reduction and Inefficiency in Multi-Unit Auctions," Papers of Peter Cramton 98wpdr, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 22 Jul 2002.
- Catherine D. Wolfram, 1999. "Measuring Duopoly Power in the British Electricity Spot Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 805-826, September.
- Crawford, Gregory S. & Crespo, Joseph & Tauchen, Helen, 2007. "Bidding asymmetries in multi-unit auctions: Implications of bid function equilibria in the British spot market for electricity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1233-1268, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mis:wpaper:20100201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Pelagatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.