The cost of providing electricity to Africa
Sub-Saharan Africa lacks electricity. We estimate the cost of providing electricity to the region. To do so, we build an optimisation model that links the electricity demand to the supply and links the supply to the generation, distribution and transmission of electricity between countries. To the best of our knowledge, such a model is novel in the literature.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaunt, C. T., 2005. "Meeting electrification's social objectives in South Africa, and implications for developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1309-1317, July.
- Deichmann, Uwe & Meisner, Craig & Murray, Siobhan & Wheeler, David, 2011.
"The economics of renewable energy expansion in rural Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 215-227, January.
- Deichmann, Uwe & Meisner, Craig & Murray, Siobhan & Wheeler, David, 2010. "The economics of renewable energy expansion in rural Sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5193, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2009. "World Development Indicators 2009," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4367, June.
- Gnansounou, Edgard & Bayem, Herman & Bednyagin, Denis & Dong, Jun, 2007. "Strategies for regional integration of electricity supply in West Africa," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 4142-4153, August.
- Madhu Khanna & Narasimha D. Rao, 2009. "Supply and Demand of Electricity in the Developing World," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 567-596, 09.
- Fay, Marianne & Yepes, Tito, 2003. "Investing in infrastructure : what is needed from 2000 to 2010?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3102, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:34:y:2012:i:5:p:1318-1328. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.