Applying models for ordinal logistic regression to the analysis of household electricity consumption classes in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
This study applies the proportional odds and partial proportional odds models for ordinal logistic regression to analyze household electricity consumption classes. Micro-data from households situated in the state of Rio de Janeiro during 2004 was used to measure the performance of the models in correctly classifying household electricity consumption classes via sociodemographic, electricity usage and dwelling characteristics. The strategy of using binary logistic regressions to test the main hypothesis of the proportional odds model, suggested by Bender and Grouven, was successful in identifying which of the independent variables could be estimated via the proportional odds assumption. Results indicate that the partial proportional odds models is slightly superior to the more restrictive approach. The study includes probabilistic examples to describe how changes in the independent variables affect the probability of a household belonging to specific classes of electricity consumption. Projections using the final model indicated that the approach may be useful for estimating aggregate household electricity consumption.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kahn, E. & Sathaye, J. & Robbins, D., 1986. "An engineering-economic approach to estimating the price elasticity of residential electricity demand," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 118-126, April.
- Jung, Tae Yong, 1993. "Ordered logit model for residential electricity demand in Korea," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 205-209, July.
- Ivy Liu & Alan Agresti, 2005. "The analysis of ordered categorical data: An overview and a survey of recent developments," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 14(1), pages 1-73, June.
- Vincent Kang Fu, 1999. "Estimating generalized ordered logit models," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(44).
- Tiwari, Piyush, 2000. "Architectural, Demographic, and Economic Causes of Electricity Consumption in Bombay," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 81-98, January.
- Richard Williams, 2006. "Generalized ordered logit/partial proportional odds models for ordinal dependent variables," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(1), pages 58-82, March.