Modeling and forecasting expected shortfall with the generalized asymmetric Student-t and asymmetric exponential power distributions
Financial returns typically display heavy tails and some degree of skewness, and conditional variance models with these features often outperform more limited models. The difference in performance may be especially important in estimating quantities that depend on tail features, including risk measures such as the expected shortfall. Here, using recent generalizations of the asymmetric Student-t and exponential power distributions to allow separate parameters to control skewness and the thickness of each tail, we fit daily financial return volatility and forecast expected shortfall for the S&P 500 index and a number of individual company stocks; the generalized distributions are used for the standardized innovations in a nonlinear, asymmetric GARCH-type model. The results provide evidence for the usefulness of the general distributions in improving fit and prediction of downside market risk of financial assets. Constrained versions, corresponding with distributions used in the previous literature, are also estimated in order to provide a comparison of the performance of different conditional distributions.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James W. Taylor, 2008. "Using Exponentially Weighted Quantile Regression to Estimate Value at Risk and Expected Shortfall," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(3), pages 382-406, Summer.
- Lars Stentoft, 2008.
"American Option Pricing Using GARCH Models and the Normal Inverse Gaussian Distribution,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(4), pages 540-582, Fall.
- Lars Stentoft, 2008. "American Option Pricing using GARCH models and the Normal Inverse Gaussian distribution," CREATES Research Papers 2008-41, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Rombouts Jeroen V. K. & Bouaddi Mohammed, 2009. "Mixed Exponential Power Asymmetric Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 13(3), pages 1-32, May.
- BOUADDI, Mohammed & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen V.K., 2007. "Mixed exponential power asymmetric conditional heteroskedasticity," CORE Discussion Papers 2007097, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mohammed Bouaddi & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts, 2007. "Mixed Exponential Power Asymmetric Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Cahiers de recherche 07-15, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Mohammed Bouaddi & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts, 2007. "Mixed Exponential Power Asymmetric Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Cahiers de recherche 0749, CIRPEE.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1994. "Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(3), pages 705-730, August.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation," RCER Working Papers 322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's GARCH models with time-varying t-densities," Statistical Software Components RTZ00086, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ivana Komunjer, 2007. "Asymmetric power distribution: Theory and applications to risk measurement," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(5), pages 891-921.
- Ivana Komunjer, 2004. "Asymmetric Power Distribution: Theory and Applications to Risk Measurement," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 44, Econometric Society.
- Dima Alberg & Haim Shalit & Rami Yosef, 2008. "Estimating stock market volatility using asymmetric GARCH models," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(15), pages 1201-1208.
- Dima Alberg & Haim Shalit & Rami Yosef, 2006. "Estimating Stock Market Volatility Using Asymmetric GARCH Models," Working Papers 0610, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Panayiotis Theodossiou, 1998. "Financial Data and the Skewed Generalized T Distribution," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-1), pages 1650-1661, December.
- Kjersti Aas & Ingrid Hobaek Haff, 2006. "The Generalized Hyperbolic Skew Student's t-Distribution," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(2), pages 275-309.
- M. C. Jones & M. J. Faddy, 2003. "A skew extension of the "t"-distribution, with applications," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(1), pages 159-174.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Luc Bauwens & Sébastien Laurent, 2002. "A New Class of Multivariate skew Densities, with Application to GARCH Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 5, Society for Computational Economics.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien, 2002. "A new class of multivariate skew densities, with application to GARCH models," CORE Discussion Papers 2002020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Zhu, Dongming & Zinde-Walsh, Victoria, 2009. "Properties and estimation of asymmetric exponential power distribution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 86-99, January.
- Victoria Zinde-Walsh & Dongming Zhu, 2007. "Properties And Estimation Of Asymmetric Exponential Power Distribution," Departmental Working Papers 2007-11, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- ZHU, Dongming & ZINDE-WALSH, Victoria, 2007. "Properties and Estimation of Asymmetric Exponential Power Distribution," Cahiers de recherche 13-2007, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Zhu, Dongming & Galbraith, John W., 2010. "A generalized asymmetric Student-t distribution with application to financial econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 297-305, August.
- Dongming Zhu & John Galbraith, 2009. "A Generalized Asymmetric Student-t Distribution with Application to Financial Econometrics," CIRANO Working Papers 2009s-13, CIRANO.
- John Galbraith & Dongming Zhu, 2009. "A Generalized Asymmetric Student-T Distribution With Application To Financial Econometrics," Departmental Working Papers 2009-02, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993. " Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-1778, December.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991. "Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," NBER Working Papers 3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-547, August.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Testing Parametric Conditional Distributions of Dynamic Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 531-549, August.
- Branco, Márcia D. & Dey, Dipak K., 2001. "A General Class of Multivariate Skew-Elliptical Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 99-113, October.
- Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S., 2003. "Prediction of Financial Downside-Risk with Heavy-Tailed Conditional Distributions," CFS Working Paper Series 2003/04, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Adelchi Azzalini & Antonella Capitanio, 2003. "Distributions generated by perturbation of symmetry with emphasis on a multivariate skew "t"-distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(2), pages 367-389. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)