Modeling and forecasting expected shortfall with the generalized asymmetric Student-t and asymmetric exponential power distributions
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- James W. Taylor, 2008. "Using Exponentially Weighted Quantile Regression to Estimate Value at Risk and Expected Shortfall," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(3), pages 382-406, Summer.
- Panayiotis Theodossiou, 1998. "Financial Data and the Skewed Generalized T Distribution," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-1), pages 1650-1661, December.
- M. C. Jones & M. J. Faddy, 2003. "A skew extension of the t‐distribution, with applications," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(1), pages 159-174, February.
- Ivana Komunjer, 2007.
"Asymmetric power distribution: Theory and applications to risk measurement,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(5), pages 891-921.
- Ivana Komunjer, 2004. "Asymmetric Power Distribution: Theory and Applications to Risk Measurement," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 44, Econometric Society.
- Zhu, Dongming & Zinde-Walsh, Victoria, 2009.
"Properties and estimation of asymmetric exponential power distribution,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 86-99, January.
- Victoria Zinde-Walsh & Dongming Zhu, 2007. "Properties And Estimation Of Asymmetric Exponential Power Distribution," Departmental Working Papers 2007-11, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- ZHU, Dongming & ZINDE-WALSH, Victoria, 2007. "Properties and Estimation of Asymmetric Exponential Power Distribution," Cahiers de recherche 13-2007, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Zhu, Dongming & Galbraith, John W., 2010.
"A generalized asymmetric Student-t distribution with application to financial econometrics,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 297-305, August.
- Dongming Zhu & John W. Galbraith, 2009. "A Generalized Asymmetric Student-t Distribution with Application to Financial Econometrics," CIRANO Working Papers 2009s-13, CIRANO.
- John Galbraith & Dongming Zhu, 2009. "A Generalized Asymmetric Student-T Distribution With Application To Financial Econometrics," Departmental Working Papers 2009-02, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Rombouts Jeroen V. K. & Bouaddi Mohammed, 2009.
"Mixed Exponential Power Asymmetric Conditional Heteroskedasticity,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 13(3), pages 1-32, May.
- BOUADDI, Mohammed & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen V.K., 2007. "Mixed exponential power asymmetric conditional heteroskedasticity," CORE Discussion Papers 2007097, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mohammed Bouaddi & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts, 2007. "Mixed Exponential Power Asymmetric Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Cahiers de recherche 07-15, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Mohammed Bouaddi & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts, 2007. "Mixed Exponential Power Asymmetric Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Cahiers de recherche 0749, CIRPEE.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993.
" Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-1778, December.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991. "Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," NBER Working Papers 3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Branco, Márcia D. & Dey, Dipak K., 2001. "A General Class of Multivariate Skew-Elliptical Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 99-113, October.
- Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S., 2003. "Prediction of Financial Downside-Risk with Heavy-Tailed Conditional Distributions," CFS Working Paper Series 2003/04, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Adelchi Azzalini & Antonella Capitanio, 2003. "Distributions generated by perturbation of symmetry with emphasis on a multivariate skew t‐distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(2), pages 367-389, May.
- Lars Stentoft, 2008.
"American Option Pricing Using GARCH Models and the Normal Inverse Gaussian Distribution,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(4), pages 540-582, Fall.
- Lars Stentoft, 2008. "American Option Pricing using GARCH models and the Normal Inverse Gaussian distribution," CREATES Research Papers 2008-41, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1994.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(3), pages 705-730, August.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation," RCER Working Papers 322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's GARCH models with time-varying t-densities," Statistical Software Components RTZ00086, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Dima Alberg & Haim Shalit & Rami Yosef, 2008.
"Estimating stock market volatility using asymmetric GARCH models,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(15), pages 1201-1208.
- Dima Alberg & Haim Shalit & Rami Yosef, 2006. "Estimating Stock Market Volatility Using Asymmetric GARCH Models," Working Papers 0610, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Kjersti Aas & Ingrid Hobaek Haff, 2006. "The Generalized Hyperbolic Skew Student's t-Distribution," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(2), pages 275-309.
- Luc Bauwens & Sébastien Laurent, 2002.
"A New Class of Multivariate skew Densities, with Application to GARCH Models,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2002
5, Society for Computational Economics.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien, 2002. "A new class of multivariate skew densities, with application to GARCH models," CORE Discussion Papers 2002020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean‐Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228, July.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-547, August.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Testing Parametric Conditional Distributions of Dynamic Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 531-549, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tata Subba Rao & Granville Tunnicliffe Wilson & Andrew Harvey & Rutger-Jan Lange, 2017.
"Volatility Modeling with a Generalized t Distribution,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 175-190, March.
- Andrew Harvey & Rutger-Jan Lange, 2015. "Volatility Modeling with a Generalized t-distribution," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1517, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Lyu, Yongjian & Wang, Peng & Wei, Yu & Ke, Rui, 2017. "Forecasting the VaR of crude oil market: Do alternative distributions help?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 523-534.
- Genya Kobayashi, 2016. "Skew exponential power stochastic volatility model for analysis of skewness, non-normal tails, quantiles and expectiles," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 49-88, March.
- Benjamin Beckers & Helmut Herwartz & Moritz Seidel, 2017. "Risk forecasting in (T)GARCH models with uncorrelated dependent innovations," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 121-137, January.
- Lingbing Feng & Yanlin Shi, 2017. "A simulation study on the distributions of disturbances in the GARCH model," Cogent Economics & Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 1355503-135, January.
- Shi, Yanlin & Ho, Kin-Yip, 2015. "Modeling high-frequency volatility with three-state FIGARCH models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 473-483.
- Michele Caivano & Andrew Harvey, 2014.
"Time-series models with an EGB2 conditional distribution,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(6), pages 558-571, November.
- M. Caivano & A. Harvey, 2013. "Time series models with an EGB2 conditional distribution," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1325, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Michele Caivano & Andrew Harvey, 2014. "Time series models with an EGB2 conditional distribution," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 947, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Sorwar, Ghulam & Pappas, Vasileios & Pereira, John & Nurullah, Mohamed, 2016. "To debt or not to debt: Are Islamic banks less risky than conventional banks?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 132(S), pages 113-126.
- Saralees Nadarajah & Bo Zhang & Stephen Chan, 2014. "Estimation methods for expected shortfall," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 271-291, February.
- Marcelo Brutti Righi & Paulo Sergio Ceretta, 2013. "Pair Copula Construction based Expected Shortfall estimation," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 1067-1072.
- Andrew J. Patton & Johanna F. Ziegel & Rui Chen, 2017. "Dynamic Semiparametric Models for Expected Shortfall (and Value-at-Risk)," Papers 1707.05108, arXiv.org.
- Patton, Andrew J. & Ziegel, Johanna F. & Chen, Rui, 2019. "Dynamic semiparametric models for expected shortfall (and Value-at-Risk)," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 211(2), pages 388-413.
- Gao, Chun-Ting & Zhou, Xiao-Hua, 2016. "Forecasting VaR and ES using dynamic conditional score models and skew Student distribution," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 216-223.
- Saralees Nadarajah & Emmanuel Afuecheta & Stephen Chan, 2015. "GARCH modeling of five popular commodities," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 48(4), pages 1691-1712, June.
- Nadarajah, Saralees & Chan, Stephen & Afuecheta, Emmanuel, 2013. "On the characteristic function for asymmetric Student t distributions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 271-274.
- Adcock, C J & Meade, N, 2017. "Using parametric classification trees for model selection with applications to financial risk management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 259(2), pages 746-765.
- Rubio, Francisco Javier & Steel, Mark F. J., 2014. "Bayesian modelling of skewness and kurtosis with two-piece scale and shape transformations," MPRA Paper 57102, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baker, Rose, 2017. "Creating new distributions by blunting cusps," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 124(C), pages 55-63.
- Michele Caivano & Andrew Harvey & Alessandra Luati, 2016. "Robust time series models with trend and seasonal components," SERIEs: Journal of the Spanish Economic Association, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 7(1), pages 99-120, March.
- Shi, Yanlin & Feng, Lingbing, 2016. "A discussion on the innovation distribution of the Markov regime-switching GARCH model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 278-288.
- Komunjer, Ivana, 2013. "Quantile Prediction," Handbook of Economic Forecasting, in: G. Elliott & C. Granger & A. Timmermann (ed.), Handbook of Economic Forecasting, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 0, pages 961-994, Elsevier.
More about this item
KeywordsAsymmetric distribution Expected shortfall NGARCH model;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:empfin:v:18:y:2011:i:4:p:765-778. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jempfin .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.