Properties and Estimation of Asymmetric Exponential Power Distribution
The new distribution class, Asymmetric Exponential Power Distribution (AEPD), proposed in this paper generalizes the class of Skewed Exponential Power Distributions (SEPD) in a way that in addition to skewness introduces different decay rates of density in the left and right tails. Our parametrization provides an interpretable role for each parameter. We derive moments and moment-based measures: skewness, kurtosis, expected shortfall. It is demonstrated that a maximum entropy property holds for the AEPD distributions. We establish consistency, asymptotic normality and efficiency of the maximum likelihood estimators over a large part of the parameter space by dealing with the problems created by non-smooth likelihood function and derive explicit analytical expressions of the asymptotic covariance matrix; where the results apply to the SEPD class they enlarge on the current literature. Finally, we give a convenient stochastic representation of the distribution; our Monte Carlo study illustrates the theoretical results.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C.P. 6128, Succ. centre-ville, Montréal (PQ) H3C 3J7|
Phone: (514) 343-6557
Fax: (514) 343-7221
Web page: http://www.cireq.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991.
"Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993. " Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-78, December.
- DiCiccio T.J. & Monti A.C., 2004. "Inferential Aspects of the Skew Exponential Power Distribution," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 439-450, January.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Ivana Komunjer, 2007.
"Asymmetric power distribution: Theory and applications to risk measurement,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(5), pages 891-921.
- Ivana Komunjer, 2004. "Asymmetric Power Distribution: Theory and Applications to Risk Measurement," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 44, Econometric Society.
- Bickel, David R., 2002. "Robust estimators of the mode and skewness of continuous data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 153-163, April.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Peter F. Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold, 2005.
NBER Working Papers
11188, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Christoffersen, Peter F. & Diebold, Francis X., 2005. "Volatility forecasting," CFS Working Paper Series 2005/08, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Peter F. Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold, 2005. "Volatility Forecasting," PIER Working Paper Archive 05-011, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- ZHU, Dongming & ZINDE-WALSH, Victoria, 2007.
"Properties and Estimation of Asymmetric Exponential Power Distribution,"
Cahiers de recherche
13-2007, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Zhu, Dongming & Zinde-Walsh, Victoria, 2009. "Properties and estimation of asymmetric exponential power distribution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 86-99, January.
- Victoria Zinde-Walsh & Dongming Zhu, 2007. "Properties And Estimation Of Asymmetric Exponential Power Distribution," Departmental Working Papers 2007-11, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Bawa, Vijay S., 1975. "Optimal rules for ordering uncertain prospects," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 95-121, March.
- Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S., 2003. "Prediction of Financial Downside-Risk with Heavy-Tailed Conditional Distributions," CFS Working Paper Series 2003/04, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Hsieh, David A, 1989. "Modeling Heteroscedasticity in Daily Foreign-Exchange Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(3), pages 307-17, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtl:montec:13-2007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.