Volatility transmission in regional Asian stock markets
This study aims to investigate the presence of volatility transmission among regional equity markets of Pakistan, China, India, and Sri Lanka. Moreover for developed countries, the stock indices of USA, UK, Singapore, and Japan have been considered. If countries of the same region have a long run relationship then chances of an optimum currency area increases whereas, a diversification strategy to reduce risk is not workable. Results among the developed and Asian countries show that volatility transmission is present between friendly countries of different regions with economic links. We also find some evidence of transmission of volatility between countries which are on unfriendly terms.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- William N. Goetzmann & Jonathan E. Ingersoll Jr. & Matthew I. Spiegel & Ivo Welch, 2002.
"Sharpening Sharpe Ratios,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm273, Yale School of Management.
- William Goetzmann & Jonathan Ingersoll & Matthew I. Spiegel & Ivo Welch, 2002. "Sharpening Sharpe Ratios," NBER Working Papers 9116, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William N. Goetzmann & Jonathan E. Ingersoll, Jr. & Matthew I. Spiegel & Ivo Welch, 2002. "Sharpening Sharpe Ratios," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm29, Yale School of Management.
- Gerard, Bruno & Thanyalakpark, Kessara & Batten, Jonathan A., 2003. "Are the East Asian markets integrated? Evidence from the ICAPM," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(5-6), pages 585-607.
- Mervyn A. King & Sushil Wadhwani, 1989.
"Transmission of Volatility Between Stock Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
2910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Longin, Francois & Solnik, Bruno, 1995. "Is the correlation in international equity returns constant: 1960-1990?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-26, February.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- John Beirne & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & Nicola Spagnolo, 2009.
"Global and Regional Spillovers in Emerging Stock Markets: A Multivariate GARCH-in-mean Analysis,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2794, CESifo Group Munich.
- Beirne, John & Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Schulze-Ghattas, Marianne & Spagnolo, Nicola, 2010. "Global and regional spillovers in emerging stock markets: A multivariate GARCH-in-mean analysis," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 250-260, September.
- John Beirne & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & Nicola Spagnolo, 2009. "Global and Regional Spillovers in Emerging Stock Markets: A Multivariate GARCH-in-Mean Analysis," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 942, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements,"
NBER Working Papers
7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Jing Chi & Ke Li & Martin Young, 2006. "Financial Integration In East Asian Equity Markets," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 513-526, December.
- De Santis, Giorgio & Gerard, Bruno, 1998. "How big is the premium for currency risk?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 375-412, September.
- Taufiq Choudhry, 2004. "International Transmission of Stock Returns and Volatility : Empirical Comparison Between Friends and Foes," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(4), pages 33-52, July.
- Ahmed M. Khalid & Gulasekaran Rajaguru, 2004. "Financial Market Linkages in South Asia: Evidence Using a Multivariate GARCH Model," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 585-603.
- Korkmaz, Turhan & Çevik, Emrah İ. & Atukeren, Erdal, 2012. "Return and volatility spillovers among CIVETS stock markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 230-252.
- Singh, Priyanka & Kumar, Brajesh & Pandey, Ajay, 2010. "Price and volatility spillovers across North American, European and Asian stock markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 55-64, January.
- Lieven Baele & Annalisa Ferrando & Peter Hördahl & Elizaveta Krylova & Cyril Monnet, 2004. "Measuring financial integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 14, European Central Bank.
- Wang, Ping & Wang, Peijie, 2010. "Price and volatility spillovers between the Greater China Markets and the developed markets of US and Japan," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 304-317.
- Anders C Johansson & Christer Ljungwall, 2006. "Spillover Effects among the Greater China Region Stock Markets," Microeconomics Working Papers 22046, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Robert R. Grauer and Nils H. Hakansson., 1987. "Gains from International Diversification: l968-85 Returns on Portfolios of Stocks and Bonds," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 168, University of California at Berkeley.
- Janakiramanan, Sundaram & Lamba, Asjeet S., 1998. "An empirical examination of linkages between Pacific-Basin stock markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 155-173, June.
- Jenifer Piesse & Bruce Hearn, 2005. "Regional Integration Of Equity Markets In Sub-Saharan Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 73(1), pages 36-52, 03.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Khan, Muhammad Arshad & Sajid, Muhammad Zubair, 2007. "Integration of Financial Markets in SAARC Countries: Evidence Based on Uncovered Interest rate Parity Hypothesis," MPRA Paper 6751, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Grauer, Robert R & Hakansson, Nils H, 1987. " Gains from International Diversification: 1968-85 Returns on Portfolios of Stocks and Bonds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 721-39, July.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "International Diversification of Investment Portfolios," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 668-75, September.
- Giampiero M. Gallo & Margherita Velucchi, 2009. "Market interdependence and financial volatility transmission in East Asia," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 24-44.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1985. "International Portfolio Diversification with Estimation Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 259-78, July.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Kyaw, NyoNyo A., 2005. "Equity market integration in the NAFTA region: Evidence from unit root and cointegration tests," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 393-406.
- Masih, Abul M. M. & Masih, Rumi, 1997. "Dynamic linkages and the propagation mechanism driving major international stock markets: An analysis of the pre- and post-crash eras," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 859-885.
- Qayyum, Abdul & Kemal, A. R., 2006. "Volatility Spillover Between the Stock Market and the Foreign Exchange Market in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 1715, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ememar:v:16:y:2013:i:c:p:66-77. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.