What drives value creation in investment projects? An application of sensitivity analysis to project finance transactions
Evaluating the economic attractiveness of large projects often requires the development of large and complex financial models. Model complexity can prevent management from obtaining crucial information, with the risk of a suboptimal exploitation of the modelling efforts. We propose a methodology based on the so-called "differential importance measure (D)" to enhance the managerial insights obtained from financial models. We illustrate our methodology by applying it to a project finance case study. We show that the additivity property of D grants analysts and managers full flexibility in combining parameters into any group and at the desired aggregation level. We analyze investment criteria related to both the investors's and lenders' perspectives. Results indicate that exogenous factors affect investors (sponsors and lenders) in different ways, whether exogenous variables are considered individually or by groups.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borgonovo, E., 2008. "Differential importance and comparative statics: An application to inventory management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 170-179, January.
- Avinash K. Dixit & Robert S. Pindyck, 1994. "Investment under Uncertainty," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 5474.
- Gene Amromin & Paul Harrison & Steven Sharpe, 2008.
"How Did the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut Affect Stock Prices?,"
Financial Management Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 625-646, December.
- Eugene Amromin & Paul Harrison & Steven A. Sharpe, 2005. "How did the 2003 dividend tax cut affect stock prices?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-61, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Eugene Amromin & Paul Harrison & Steven A. Sharpe, 2006. "How did the 2003 dividend tax cut affect stock prices?," Working Paper Series WP-06-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1974. "Interactions of Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions-Implications for Capital Budgeting," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Antonio E. Bernardo & Bhagwan Chowdhry & Amit Goyal, 2007. "Growth Options, Beta, and the Cost of Capital," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 36(2), pages 1-13, July.
- van Groenendaal, W.J.H. & Kleijnen, J.P.C., 1997. "On the assessment of economic risk : Factorial design versus Monte Carlo methods," Other publications TiSEM fd2a2307-0812-4543-8151-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Alon Brav & John R. Graham & Campbell R. Harvey & Roni Michaely, 2008. "Managerial Response to the May 2003 Dividend Tax Cut," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 611-624, December.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- van Groenendaal, Willem J. H., 1998. "Estimating NPV variability for deterministic models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 202-213, May.
- van Groenendaal, W.J.H., 1998. "Estimating NVP variability for deterministic models," Other publications TiSEM 41e4909c-b876-46a4-8abd-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Borgonovo, E. & Peccati, L., 2006. "The importance of assumptions in investment evaluation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 298-311, June.
- Van Groenendaal, Willem J. H. & Kleijnen, Jack P. C., 2002. "Deterministic versus stochastic sensitivity analysis in investment problems: An environmental case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 8-20, August.
- van Groenendaal, W.J.H. & Kleijnen, J.P.C., 2001. "Deterministic versus Stochastic Sensitivity Analysis in Investment Problems : An Environmental Case Study," Discussion Paper 2001-46, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Yescombe, E. R. & Yescombe, E. R., 2002. "Principles of Project Finance," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780127708515.
- Philip Joos & Alexei Zhdanov, 2008. "Earnings and Equity Valuation in the Biotech Industry: Theory and Evidence," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 37(3), pages 431-460, September.
- Etienne B Yehoue & Mona Hammami & Jean-François Ruhashyankiko, 2006. "Determinants of Public-Private Partnerships in Infrastructure," IMF Working Papers 06/99, International Monetary Fund.
- Kai Li & Xinlei Zhao, 2008. "Asymmetric Information and Dividend Policy," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 673-694, December.
- Stefano Gatti & Alvaro Rigamonti & Francesco Saita & Mauro Senati, 2007. "Measuring Value-at-Risk in Project Finance Transactions," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(1), pages 135-158.
- Borgonovo, E. & Peccati, L., 2004. "Sensitivity analysis in investment project evaluation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 17-25, July.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Warner, Jerold B., 1979. "On financial contracting : An analysis of bond covenants," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 117-161, June.
- Zettl, Martin, 2002. "Valuing exploration and production projects by means of option pricing theory," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 109-116, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:205:y:2010:i:1:p:227-236. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.