Non-negativity conditions for the hyperbolic GARCH model
In this article we derive conditions which ensure the non-negativity of the conditional variance in the Hyperbolic GARCH(p,d,q) (HYGARCH) model of Davidson (2004). The conditions are necessary and sufficient for p=1 and sufficient for p>=2 and emerge as natural extensions of the inequality constraints derived in Nelson and Cao (1992) and Tsai and Chan (2008) for the GARCH model and in Conrad and Haag (2006) for the FIGARCH model. As a by-product we obtain a representation of the ARCH([infinity]) coefficients which allows computationally efficient multi-step-ahead forecasting of the conditional variance of a HYGARCH process. We also relate the necessary and sufficient parameter set of the HYGARCH to the necessary and sufficient parameter sets of its GARCH and FIGARCH components. Finally, we analyze the effects of erroneously fitting a FIGARCH model to a data sample which was truly generated by a HYGARCH process. Empirical applications of the HYGARCH(1,d,1) model to daily NYSE and DAX30 data illustrate the importance of our results.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asger Lunde & Peter R. Hansen, 2005.
"A forecast comparison of volatility models: does anything beat a GARCH(1,1)?,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(7), pages 873-889.
- Asger Lunde & Peter Reinhard Hansen, 2001. "A Forecast Comparison of Volatility Models: Does Anything Beat a GARCH(1,1)?," Working Papers 2001-04, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Robert F. Engle & Jose Gonzalo Rangel, 2008. "The Spline-GARCH Model for Low-Frequency Volatility and Its Global Macroeconomic Causes," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(3), pages 1187-1222, May.
- Christian Conrad & Berthold R. Haag, 2006. "Inequality Constraints in the Fractionally Integrated GARCH Model," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(3), pages 413-449.
- Antonio Rubia Serrano & Trino-Manuel Ñíguez, 2003.
"Forecasting The Conditional Covariance Matrix Of A Portfolio Under Long-Run Temporal Dependence,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2003-34, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Antonio Rubia & Trino-Manuel Ñíguez, 2006. "Forecasting the conditional covariance matrix of a portfolio under long-run temporal dependence," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(6), pages 439-458.
- Corsi, Fulvio & Kretschmer, Uta & Mittnik, Stefan & Pigorsch, Christian, 2005.
"The volatility of realized volatility,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2005/33, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Tsai, Henghsiu & Chan, Kung-Sik, 2008. "A Note On Inequality Constraints In The Garch Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 823-828, June.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Diongue, Abdou Kâ & Guégan, Dominique, 2007.
"The stationary seasonal hyperbolic asymmetric power ARCH model,"
Statistics & Probability Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 77(11), pages 1158-1164, June.
- Abdou Kâ Diongue & Dominique Guegan, 2007. "The Stationary Seasonal Hyperbolic Asymmetric Power ARCH model," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00179275, HAL.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ole Mikkelsen, Hans, 1996.
"Modeling and pricing long memory in stock market volatility,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 151-184, July.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Bollerslev-Mikkelson(1996) FIEGARCH models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00173, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Zaffaroni, Paolo, 2004. "STATIONARITY AND MEMORY OF ARCH([infty infinity]) MODELS," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(01), pages 147-160, February.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-144, January.
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Dark Jonathan Graeme, 2010. "Estimation of Time Varying Skewness and Kurtosis with an Application to Value at Risk," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 14(2), pages 1-50, March.
- Christian Conrad & Menelaos Karanasos, 2008.
"Negative Volatility Spillovers in the Unrestricted ECCC-GARCH Model,"
KOF Working papers
08-189, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Conrad, Christian & Karanasos, Menelaos, 2010. "Negative Volatility Spillovers In The Unrestricted Eccc-Garch Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 838-862, June.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Neil R. Ericsson, 1991.
"Parameter constancy, mean square forecast errors, and measuring forecast performance: an exposition, extensions, and illustration,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
412, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ericsson, Neil R., 1992. "Parameter constancy, mean square forecast errors, and measuring forecast performance: An exposition, extensions, and illustration," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 465-495, August.
- Anderson, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Labys, Paul, 2002.
"Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility,"
02-12, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," NBER Working Papers 8160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Nelson, Daniel B & Cao, Charles Q, 1992. "Inequality Constraints in the Univariate GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(2), pages 229-235, April.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Christoffersen, Peter F. & Diebold, Francis X., 2006. "Volatility and Correlation Forecasting," Handbook of Economic Forecasting, Elsevier.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Harvey, David I & Leybourne, Stephen J & Newbold, Paul, 1998. "Tests for Forecast Encompassing," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(2), pages 254-259, April.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J., 1996. "Modeling volatility persistence of speculative returns: A new approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 185-215, July.
- Menelaos Karanasos & Zacharias Psaradakis & Martin Sola, 2004.
"On the Autocorrelation Properties of Long-Memory GARCH Processes,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 265-282, 03.
- Martin Sola & M Karansos & Zacharias Psaradakis, 2002. "On the autocorrelation properties of Long Memory Garch Processes," Department of Economics Working Papers 025, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Conrad, C. & Karanasos, M., 2005. "On the inflation-uncertainty hypothesis in the USA, Japan and the UK: a dual long memory approach," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 327-343, August.
- Conrad Christian & Karanasos Menelaos, 2005. "Dual Long Memory in Inflation Dynamics across Countries of the Euro Area and the Link between Inflation Uncertainty and Macroeconomic Performance," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(4), pages 1-38, December.
- Herzberg, Markus & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2004. "Pricing of options under different volatility models," Technical Reports 2004,62, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Tang, Ta-Lun & Shieh, Shwu-Jane, 2006. "Long memory in stock index futures markets: A value-at-risk approach," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 366(C), pages 437-448.
- Davidson, James, 2004. "Moment and Memory Properties of Linear Conditional Heteroscedasticity Models, and a New Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22(1), pages 16-29, January.
- Harvey, David & Leybourne, Stephen & Newbold, Paul, 1997. "Testing the equality of prediction mean squared errors," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-291, June.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Schoffer, Olaf, 2003. "HY-A-PARCH: A stationary A-PARCH model with long memory," Technical Reports 2003,40, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Hidalgo, Javier & Zaffaroni, Paolo, 2007. "A goodness-of-fit test for ARCH([infinity]) models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 835-875, December.
- Conrad, Christian & Karanasos, Menelaos, 2006. "The impulse response function of the long memory GARCH process," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 34-41, January.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Cecen, Aydin A. & Erkal, Cahit & Han, Young-Wook, 2004. "Measuring non-linearity, long memory and self-similarity in high-frequency European exchange rates," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 401-418, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:157:y:2010:i:2:p:441-457. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.