Testing for unit roots with flow data and varying sampling frequency
This paper considers tests for a unit root in a flow variable when the span of data and/or the sampling frequency are allowed to vary. The limiting distributions of the statistics are obtained under both the null and alternative hypotheses, thereby enabling an analysis of the consistency properties of the tests to be conducted. Contrary to the situation with a stock variable, it is found that it is possible to consistently test for a unit root in a flow variable even when the span of the data is fixed, and, furthermore, that increasing the span of the data is not in itself sufficient for consistent testing. Some new simulation results are provided while the theoretical results obtained help to explain recent simulation findings by other authors involving unit root tests with flow variables.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Perron, Pierre, 1991.
"Test Consistency with Varying Sampling Frequency,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 341-368, September.
- Perron, P., 1989. "Test Consistency With Varying Sampling Frequency," Papers 345, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, P., 1987. "Test Consistency with Varying Sampling Frequency," Cahiers de recherche 8752, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Chambers, Marcus J., 2004.
"Testing for unit roots with flow data and varying sampling frequency,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Chambers, Marcus J, 2001. "Testing for Unit Roots with Flow Data and Varying Sampling Frequency," Economics Discussion Papers 2761, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Ng, Serena, 1995. "Testing for unit roots in flow data sampled at different frequencies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 47(3-4), pages 237-242, March.
- repec:esx:essedp:529 is not listed on IDEAS
- Choi, In, 1992. "Effects of data aggregation on the power of tests for a unit root : A simulation study," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 397-401, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:119:y:2004:i:1:p:1-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.