Optimal unemployment insurance in GE: A robust calibration approach
A simple Monte Carlo calibration approach is implemented in a GE model with uninsurable employment risk to quantitatively study the optimal replacement rate of a public unemployment insurance (UI) scheme. The optimal UI sampling distribution is found to be bimodal.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Orazio P. Attanasio & James Banks & Costas Meghir & Guglielmo Weber, 1995.
"Humps and Bumps in Lifetime Consumption,"
NBER Working Papers
5350, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DeJong, David N & Ingram, Beth Fisher & Whiteman, Charles H, 1996. "A Bayesian Approach to Calibration," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(1), pages 1-9, January.
- DeJong, David N. & Ingram, Beth F. & Whiteman, Charles H., 2000. "A Bayesian approach to dynamic macroeconomics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 203-223, October.
- Robert Shimer & Ivan Werning, 2008.
"Liquidity and Insurance for the Unemployed,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1922-42, December.
- Stephen R. G. Jones & W. Craig Riddell, .
"The Measurement Of Unemployment: An Empirical Approach,"
Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers
09, McMaster University.
- Stephen R. G. Jones & W. Craig Riddell, 1999. "The Measurement of Unemployment: An Empirical Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 147-162, January.
- Per Krusell & Toshihiko Mukoyama & Aysegul Sahin, 2009.
"Labor-Market Matching with Precautionary Savings and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
15282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Per Krusell & Toshihiko Mukoyama & AyşegÃ¼l Şahin, 2010. "Labour-Market Matching with Precautionary Savings and Aggregate Fluctuations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1477-1507.
- Krusell, Per & Mukoyama, Toshihiko & Sahin, Aysegul, 2009. "Labor-Market Matching with Precautionary Savings and Aggregate Fluctuations," CEPR Discussion Papers 7429, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Per Krusell & Toshihiko Mukoyama & Ayseg ul Sahin, 2007. "Labor-Market Matching with Precautionary Savings and Aggregate Fluctuations," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001783, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Pollak, Andreas, 2007. "Optimal unemployment insurance with heterogeneous agents," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 2029-2053, November.
- van den Berg, Gerard J, 1990. "Nonstationarity in Job Search Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 255-77, April.
- Sungbae An & Frank Schorfheide, 2007. "Bayesian Analysis of DSGE Models—Rejoinder," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(2-4), pages 211-219.
- Matthew S. Dey & Christopher J. Flinn, 2005.
"An Equilibrium Model of Health Insurance Provision and Wage Determination,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(2), pages 571-627, 03.
- Dey, M. S. & Flinn, C. J., 2000. "An Equilibrium Model of Health Insurance Provision and Wage Determination," Working Papers 00-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Hopenhayn, Hugo A & Nicolini, Juan Pablo, 1997.
"Optimal Unemployment Insurance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 412-38, April.
- Lars Ljungqvist & Thomas Sargent, 1999. "Matlab code for Hopenhayn-Nicolini's optimal unemployment insurance model," QM&RBC Codes 18, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Hopenhayn, H. & Nicolini, P.J., 1996. "Optimal Unemployment Insurance," RCER Working Papers 421, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Atila Abdulkadiroglu & Burhanettin Kuruscu & Aysegul Sahin, 2002. "Unemployment Insurance and the Role of Self-Insurance," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 5(3), pages 681-703, July.
- Sungbae An & Frank Schorfheide, 2007.
"Bayesian Analysis of DSGE Models,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(2-4), pages 113-172.
- Marco Cozzi, 2011. "Precautionary Savings and Wealth Inequality: a Global Sensitivity Analysis," Working Papers 1270, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Martin Gervais, 2012. "Optimal Unemployment Insurance in a Directed Search Model," 2012 Meeting Papers 1177, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hansen, G.D. & Imrohoroglu, A., 1990.
"The Role Of Unemployment Insurance In An Economy With Liquidity Constraints And Moral Hazard,"
21, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Hansen, Gary D & Imrohoroglu, Ayse, 1992. "The Role of Unemployment Insurance in an Economy with Liquidity Constraints and Moral Hazard," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(1), pages 118-42, February.
- Gary D. Hansen & Ayse Imrohoroglu, 1990. "The Role of Unemployment Insurance in an Economy with Liquidity Constraints and Moral Hazard," UCLA Economics Working Papers 583, UCLA Department of Economics.
- John P Martin, 1998.
"What Works Among Active Labour Market Policies: Evidence from OECD Countries' Experiences,"
RBA Annual Conference Volume,
in: Guy Debelle & Jeff Borland (ed.), Unemployment and the Australian Labour Market
Reserve Bank of Australia.
- John P. Martin, 1998. "What Works Among Active Labour Market Policies: Evidence From OECD Countries' Experiences," OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- Young, Eric R., 2004.
"Unemployment insurance and capital accumulation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 1683-1710, November.
- Eric Young, 2003. "Code for "Unemployment Insurance and Capital Accumulation"," QM&RBC Codes 148, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Christopher A. Sims, 2004. "Econometrics for Policy Analysis: Progress and Regress," De Economist, Springer, vol. 152(2), pages 167-175, 06.
- Canova, Fabio, 1994. "Statistical Inference in Calibrated Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(S), pages S123-44, Suppl. De.
- Nicola Pavoni, 2009. "Optimal Unemployment Insurance, With Human Capital Depreciation, And Duration Dependence," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(2), pages 323-362, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:117:y:2012:i:1:p:28-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.