Decomposing time-frequency relationship between producer price and consumer price indices in Romania through wavelet analysis
This study analyses Granger-causality between the return series of CPI and PPI (i.e., inflation measured by CPI and PPI) for Romania, by using monthly data covering the period of 1991m1 to 2011m11. To analyse the issue in depth, this study decomposes the time-frequency relationship between CPI- and PPI-based inflation through a continuous wavelet approach. Our results provide strong evidence that there are cyclical effects from variables (as variables are observed in phase), while anti-cyclical effects are not observed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Kumar, A.T.K. & Mohammad, Iqbal Tahir, 2012.
"Does CPI Granger-Cause WPI? New Extensions from Frequency Domain Approach in Pakistan,"
38816, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 May 2012.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Tahir, Mohammad Iqbal, 2012. "Does CPI Granger-cause WPI? New extensions from frequency domain approach in Pakistan," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1592-1597.
- Schwert, G William, 1989.
"Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 7(2), pages 147-59, April.
- Roman Horvath & Jakub Mateju, 2010.
"How Are Inflation Targets Set?,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp426, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Roman Horvath & Jakub Mateju, 2011. "How are Inflation Targets Set?," Working Papers 2011/06, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Roman Horváth & Jakub Matějů, 2011. "How Are Inflation Targets Set?," Working Papers IES 2011/01, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Jan 2011.
- Alexander Mihailov & Fabio Rumler & Johann Scharler, 2009.
"Inflation Dynamics in the New EU Member States: How Relevant Are External Factors?,"
Economics working papers
2009-13, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Alexander Mihailov & Fabio Rumler & Johann Scharler, 2011. "Inflation Dynamics in the New EU Member States: How Relevant Are External Factors?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 65-76, 02.
- Alexander Mihailov & Fabio Rumler & Johann Scharler, 2010. "Inflation Dynamics in the New EU Member States: How Relevant Are External Factors?," Economics & Management Discussion Papers em-dp2010-04, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Daianu, Daniel & Kallai, Ella, 2008. "Disinflation and Inflation Targeting in Romania," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 5(1), pages 59-81, March.
- Gregory D. Hess & Mark E. Schweitzer, 2000. "Does wage inflation cause price inflation?," Policy Discussion Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Apr.
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luís & Azevedo, Nuno & Soares, Maria Joana, 2008. "Using wavelets to decompose the time–frequency effects of monetary policy," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(12), pages 2863-2878.
- Colclough, William G. & Lange, Mark D., 1982. "Empirical evidence of causality from consumer to wholesale prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 379-384, August.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Patrick Villieu, 2011.
"EU enlargement and monetary regimes from the insurance model perspective,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(4), pages 433-447, May.
- Nikolay Nenovsky, 2010. "EU Enlargement and Monetary Regimes from the Insurance Model Perspectives," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp997, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Aviral Kumar Tiwari, 2012. "Causality between wholesale price and consumer price indices in India: An empirical investigation in the frequency domain," Indian Growth and Development Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(2), pages 151-172, December.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Maria Soares, 2011. "Oil and the macroeconomy: using wavelets to analyze old issues," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 645-655, May.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 2010.
Handbook of Monetary Economics,
in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 22, pages 1237-1302
- Fred Furlong & Robert Ingenito, 1996.
"Commodity prices and inflation,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 27-47.
- Marcelo Sanchez, 2011. "Modelling Anti-inflationary Monetary Targeting in Romania," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(1), pages 125-145.
- M. Frömmel & G. Garabedian & F. Schobert, 2009.
"Monetary Policy Rules in Central and Eastern European Countries: Does the Exchange Rate Matter?,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
09/611, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Frömmel, Michael & Garabedian, Garo & Schobert, Franziska, 2011. "Monetary policy rules in Central and Eastern European Countries: Does the exchange rate matter?," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 807-818.
- Subrata Ghatak & Tomoe Moore, 2011. "Monetary Policy Rules for Transition Economies: An Empirical Analysis," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 714-728, November.
- Todd E. Clark, 1999.
"The Responses Of Prices At Different Stages Of Production To Monetary Policy Shocks,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(3), pages 420-433, August.
- Todd E. Clark, 1996. "The responses of prices at different stages of production to monetary policy shocks," Research Working Paper 96-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Kevin X. D. Huang & Zheng Liu, 2003.
"Inflation Targeting: What Inflation Rate to Target?,"
0318, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Huang, Kevin X.D. & Liu, Zheng, 2005. "Inflation targeting: What inflation rate to target?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(8), pages 1435-1462, November.
- Kevin X. D. Huang & Zheng Liu, 2004. "Inflation targeting: what inflation rate to target?," Working Papers 04-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Margarita Katsimi & Nikitas Pittis, 2002. "Causality Links between Consumer and Producer Prices: Some Empirical Evidence," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 703-711, January.
- Jones, J D, 1986. "Consumer Prices, Wholesale Prices, and Causality (More Empirical Evidence for the U.S., 1947-1983.)," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 41-55.
- Jon Faust & Dale W. Henderson, 2004.
"Is inflation targeting best-practice monetary policy?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 117-144.
- Jon Faust & Dale W. Henderson, 2004. "Is inflation targeting best-practice monetary policy?," International Finance Discussion Papers 807, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Daniela Gabor, 2008. "From Rhetorics to Practice in Monetary Policy: A Romanian Perspective," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 50(3), pages 511-534, September.
- de Mendonça, Helder Ferreira & de Guimarães e Souza, Gustavo José, 2012. "Is inflation targeting a good remedy to control inflation?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 178-191.
- Todd E. Clark, 1995. "Do producer prices lead consumer prices?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 25-39.
- Mehra, Yash P, 1991. "Wage Growth and the Inflation Process: An Empirical Note," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 931-37, September.
- S. Brock Blomberg & Ethan S. Harris, 1995. "The commodity-consumer price connection: fact or fable?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 21-38.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar, 2012. "An empirical investigation of causality between producers' price and consumers' price indices in Australia in frequency domain," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1571-1578.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:31:y:2013:i:c:p:151-159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.