What drives housing price dynamics in Greece: New evidence from asymmetric ARDL cointegration
In this paper, we study the dynamics between house prices and selected macroeconomic fundamentals in Greece. The empirical analysis applies the asymmetric ARDL cointegration methodology proposed by Shin, Yu and Greenwood-Nimmo (2011) over the period from January 1999 to May 2011. The evidence suggests that ignoring the intrinsic nonlinearities may lead to misleading inference. In particular, the results reveal significant differences in the response of house prices to positive or negative changes of the explanatory variables in both the long- and short-run time horizons. The obtained evidence of asymmetry could be of major importance for more efficient policymaking and forecasting in the Greek house market.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas Apergis, 2003. "Housing Prices and Macroeconomic Factors: Prospects within the European Monetary Union," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 6(1), pages 63-47.
- Neftci, Salih N, 1984. "Are Economic Time Series Asymmetric over the Business Cycle?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(2), pages 307-28, April.
- Kearl, J R, 1979. "Inflation, Mortgages, and Housing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 1115-38, October.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Kostas Tsatsaronis & Haibin Zhu, 2004. "What drives housing price dynamics: cross-country evidence," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Stephen Malpezzi, 1998.
"A Simple Error Correction Model of House Prices,"
Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers
98-11, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Akaike, Hirotugu, 1981. "Likelihood of a model and information criteria," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 3-14, May.
- Peter Romilly & Haiyan Song & Xiaming Liu, 2001. "Car ownership and use in Britain: a comparison of the empirical results of alternative cointegration estimation methods and forecasts," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(14), pages 1803-1818.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Thomas Vlassopoulos, 2007.
"The Interaction between Mortgage Financing and Housing Prices in Greece,"
58, Bank of Greece.
- Sophocles Brissimis & Thomas Vlassopoulos, 2009. "The Interaction between Mortgage Financing and Housing Prices in Greece," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 146-164, August.
- Balázs Egert & Dubravko Mihaljek, 2007.
"Determinants of House Prices in Central and Eastern Europe,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2152, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bal�zs �gert & Dubravko Mihaljek, 2007. "Determinants of House Prices in Central and Eastern Europe," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(3), pages 367-388, September.
- Balázs Égert & Dubravko Mihaljek, 2007. "Determinants of house prices in central and eastern Europe," BIS Working Papers 236, Bank for International Settlements.
- Balazs Egert & Dubravko Mihaljek, 2008. "Determinants of House Prices in Central and Eastern Europe," Working Papers 2008/1, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Balazs Egert & Dubravko Mihaljek, 2007. "Determinants of House Prices in Central and Eastern Europe," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp894, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Baffoe-Bonnie, John, 1998. "The Dynamic Impact of Macroeconomic Aggregates on Housing Prices and Stock of Houses: A National and Regional Analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 179-97, September.
- Zacharias Psaradakis & Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo, 2004. "On Markov error-correction models, with an application to stock prices and dividends," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 69-88.
- Adams, Zeno & Füss, Roland, 2010. "Macroeconomic determinants of international housing markets," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 38-50, March.
- Jian Zhou, 2010. "Testing for Cointegration between House Prices and Economic Fundamentals," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 599-632, Winter.
- Dimitrios Gounopoulos & Andreas G. Merikas & Anna A. Merika & Anna Triantafyllou, 2012. "Explaining house price changes in Greece," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(7), pages 549-561, April.
- McQuinn, Kieran & O'Reilly, Gerard, 2006. "Assessing the Role of Income and Interest Rates in Determining House Prices," Research Technical Papers 15/RT/06, Central Bank of Ireland.
- KAMALIAN, Amin Reza & PAHLAVANI, Mosayeb & VALADKHANI, Abbas, 2010. "Modelling The Asymmetric Effects Of Inflation On Real Investment In Iran, 1959-2008," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 10(1).
- James M. Poterba, 1992. "Tax reform and the housing market in the late 1980s: who knew what, and when did they know it?," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 36, pages 230-261.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Gawon Yoon, 2002.
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002
92, Royal Economic Society.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & YOON, GAWON, 2002. "Hidden Cointegration," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt9qn5f61j, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2006. "Testing For Cointegration In Nonlinear Smooth Transition Error Correction Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 279-303, April.
- Mark Holmes, 2000. "Monetary shocks, inflation and the asymmetric adjustment of UK industrial output," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 159-163.
- Falk, Barry, 1986.
"Further Evidence on the Asymmetric Behavior of Economic Time Series over the Business Cycle,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1096-1109, October.
- Falk, Barry L., 1986. "Further Evidence on the Asymmetric Behavior of Economic Time Series over the Business Cycle," Staff General Research Papers 11097, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1997.
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(3), pages 627-45, August.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992. "Threshold cointegration," Research Paper 9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Balke-Fomby threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00010, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Kuan-Min, Wang & Yuan-Ming, Lee & T.T.Binh, Nguyen, 2008. "Asymmetric Inflation Hedge of Housing Return: A Non-linear Vector Error Correction Approach," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 11(1), pages 65-82.
- Sei-Wan Kim & Radha Bhattacharya, 2009. "Regional Housing Prices in the USA: An Empirical Investigation of Nonlinearity," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 443-460, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:29:y:2012:i:4:p:1064-1069. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.