Managerial power theory, tournament theory, and executive pay in China
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Lazear, Edward P & Rosen, Sherwin, 1981. "Rank-Order Tournaments as Optimum Labor Contracts," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 841-864, October.
- Kato, Takao & Long, Cheryl, 2011.
"Tournaments and managerial incentives in China's listed firms: New evidence,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, pages 1-10.
- Kato, Takao & Long, Cheryl, 2008. "Tournaments and Managerial Incentives in China's Listed Firms: New Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 3730, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ryan, Harley Jr. & Wiggins, Roy III, 2001. "The influence of firm- and manager-specific characteristics on the structure of executive compensation," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, pages 101-123.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1986. "Prizes and Incentives in Elimination Tournaments," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, pages 701-715.
- Edward P. Lazear & Paul Oyer, 2012. "Personnel Economics," Introductory Chapters,in: Robert Gibbons & John Roberts (ed.), The Handbook of Organizational Economics Princeton University Press.
- Yermack, David, 1996. "Higher market valuation of companies with a small board of directors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 185-211, February.
- Lang, Larry H P & Stulz, Rene M, 1994.
"Tobin's q, Corporate Diversification, and Firm Performance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1248-1280, December.
- Larry H.P. Lang & Rene M. Stulz, 1993. "Tobin's Q, Corporate Diversification and Firm Performance," NBER Working Papers 4376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cheung, Yan-Leung & Stouraitis, Aris & Wong, Anita W.S., 2005. "Ownership concentration and executive compensation in closely held firms: Evidence from Hong Kong," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, pages 511-532.
- Denis, David J. & Sarin, Atulya, 1999. "Ownership and board structures in publicly traded corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 187-223, May.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1990. "Additional evidence on equity ownership and corporate value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 595-612, October.
- Fan, Joseph P.H. & Wong, T.J. & Zhang, Tianyu, 2007. "Politically connected CEOs, corporate governance, and Post-IPO performance of China's newly partially privatized firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 330-357, May.
- Eriksson, Tor, 1999. "Executive Compensation and Tournament Theory: Empirical Tests on Danish Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 262-280, April.
- Chung, Kee H. & Pruitt, Stephen W., 1996. "Executive ownership, corporate value, and executive compensation: A unifying framework," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 1135-1159, August.
- Sloan, Richard G., 1993. "Accounting earnings and top executive compensation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, pages 55-100.
- Main, Brian G M & O'Reilly, Charles A, III & Wade, James, 1993. "Top Executive Pay: Tournament or Teamwork?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(4), pages 606-628, October.
- Himmelberg, Charles P. & Hubbard, R. Glenn & Palia, Darius, 1999.
"Understanding the determinants of managerial ownership and the link between ownership and performance,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, pages 353-384.
- Himmelberg, C.P. & Hubbard, R.G. & Palia, D., 1997. "Understanding the Determinants of Mangerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance," Papers 97-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Charles P. Himmelberg & R. Glenn Hubbard & Darius Palia, 2000. "Understanding the Determinants of Managerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance," NBER Working Papers 7209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Firth, Michael & Fung, Peter M.Y. & Rui, Oliver M., 2006. "Corporate performance and CEO compensation in China," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, pages 693-714.
- Core, John E. & Holthausen, Robert W. & Larcker, David F., 1999. "Corporate governance, chief executive officer compensation, and firm performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 371-406, March.
- Li, Donghui & Moshirian, Fariborz & Nguyen, Pascal & Tan, Liwen, 2007. "Corporate governance or globalization: What determines CEO compensation in China?," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, pages 32-49.
- Short, Helen & Keasey, Kevin, 1999. "Managerial ownership and the performance of firms: Evidence from the UK," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, pages 79-101.
- Xianming Zhou, 2000. "CEO pay, firm size, and corporate performance: evidence from Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(1), pages 213-251, February.
- Leone, Andrew J. & Wu, Joanna Shuang & Zimmerman, Jerold L., 2006. "Asymmetric sensitivity of CEO cash compensation to stock returns," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, pages 167-192.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1995. "Personnel Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121883, January.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2009.
"Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, pages 435-480.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2005. "Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches," NBER Working Papers 11280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005.
"A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, pages 25-51.
- Vogelsang, T.J. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2001. "Testing for common deterministic trend slopes," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2001-16, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Vogelsang, Timothy J. & Franses, Philip Hans, 2001. "Testing for Common Deterministic Trend Slopes," Working Papers 01-15, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1995. "Equity ownership and the two faces of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 131-157, September.
- Fisher, Franklin M & McGowan, John J, 1983. "On the Misuse of Accounting Rates of Return to Infer Monopoly Profits," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, pages 82-97.
- Kole, Stacey R., 1995. "Measuring managerial equity ownership: a comparison of sources of ownership data," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, pages 413-435.
- Mehran, Hamid, 1995. "Executive compensation structure, ownership, and firm performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 163-184, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul McGuinness & Kevin Lam & João Vieito, 2015. "Gender and other major board characteristics in China: Explaining corporate dividend policy and governance," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, pages 989-1038.
- Tan, Monica & Liu, Bin, 2016. "CEO's managerial power, board committee memberships and idiosyncratic volatility," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 21-30.
- Haß, Lars Helge & Müller, Maximilian A. & Vergauwe, Skrålan, 2015. "Tournament incentives and corporate fraud," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, pages 251-267.
- repec:eee:jbfina:v:84:y:2017:i:c:p:152-165 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:pacfin:v:46:y:2017:i:pa:p:124-140 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yu, Mei & Ashton, John K., 2015. "Board leadership structure for Chinese public listed companies," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 236-248.
- Chou, Hsin-I & Chung, Huimin & Yin, Xiangkang, 2013. "Attendance of board meetings and company performance: Evidence from Taiwan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4157-4171.
- Liang, Hao & Renneboog, Luc & Sun, Sunny Li, 2015. "The political determinants of executive compensation: Evidence from an emerging economy," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 69-91.
- Lerong He & Junxiong Fang, 2016. "Subnational institutional contingencies and executive pay dispersion," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, pages 371-410.
- Lars Helge Haß & Sofia Johan & Denis Schweizer, 2016. "Is Corporate Governance in China Related to Performance Persistence?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 575-592.
- Lam, Kevin C.K. & McGuinness, Paul B. & Vieito, João Paulo, 2013. "CEO gender, executive compensation and firm performance in Chinese‐listed enterprises," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, pages 1136-1159.
- Wei Huang & Agyenim Boateng & Alexander Newman, 2016. "Capital structure of Chinese listed SMEs: an agency theory perspective," Small Business Economics, Springer, pages 535-550.
- repec:spr:rvmgts:v:11:y:2017:i:4:d:10.1007_s11846-016-0202-3 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hu, Fang & Pan, Xiaofei & Tian, Gary, 2013. "Does CEO pay dispersion matter in an emerging market? Evidence from China's listed firms," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, pages 235-255.
- Słomka-Gołębiowska, Agnieszka & Urbanek, Piotr, 2016. "Corporate boards, large blockholders and executive compensation in banks: Evidence from Poland," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 203-220.
- Yuan, Rongli & Sun, Jian & Cao, Feng, 2016. "Directors' and officers' liability insurance and stock price crash risk," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, pages 173-192.
- Peiyi Yu & Bac Luu, 2016. "Bank performance and executive pay: tournament or teamwork," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 607-643, October.
More about this item
KeywordsManagerial power theory Tournament theory Executive pay Organization levels;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:corfin:v:17:y:2011:i:4:p:1176-1199. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jcorpfin .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.