Too few doctors or too low wages? Labor supply of health care professionals in China
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Kanbur, Ravi, 2005.
"Spatial inequality in education and health care in China,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 189-204.
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Kanbur, Ravi, 2003. "Spatial Inequality In Education And Health Care In China," Working Papers 127256, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Xiaobo Zhang & Ravi Kanbur, 2004. "Spatial Inequality in Education and Health Care in China," Working Papers 159, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2003. "Spatial Inequality in Education and Health Care in China," CEPR Discussion Papers 4136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Jonsson, Bengt, 2000. "International comparisons of health expenditure: Theory, data and econometric analysis," Handbook of Health Economics,in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 11-53 Elsevier.
- Sloan, Frank A. & Hsieh, Chee-Ruey, 2012. "Health Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262016761, March.
- Nazmul Chaudhury & Jeffrey Hammer & Michael Kremer & Karthik Muralidharan & F. Halsey Rogers, 2006. "Missing in Action: Teacher and Health Worker Absence in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(1), pages 91-116, Winter.
- Yip, Winnie C., 1998. "Physician response to Medicare fee reductions: changes in the volume of coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgeries in the Medicare and private sectors," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 675-699, December.
- Alicia C. Sasser, 2005. "Gender Differences in Physician Pay: Tradeoffs Between Career and Family," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 40(2).
- Emanuela Antonazzo & Anthony Scott & Diane Skatun & Robert. F. Elliott, 2003. "The labour market for nursing: a review of the labour supply literature," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 465-478.
- William M. Boal & Michael R. Ransom, 1997. "Monopsony in the Labor Market," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 86-112, March.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Espen Bratberg & Tor Helge Holmås, 2005.
"A panel data study of physicians' labor supply: the case of Norway,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(10), pages 1035-1045.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Espen Bratberg & Tor Helge Holmås, 2003. "A Panel Data Study of Physicians’ Labor Supply: The Case of Norway," CESifo Working Paper Series 895, CESifo Group Munich.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Bratberg, Espen & Holmås, Tor Helge, 2003. "A panel data study of physicians’ labor supply: The case of Norway," Working Papers in Economics 01/03, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Frank A. Sloan & Somchai Richupan, 1975. "Short-Run Supply Responses of Professional Nurses: A Microanalysis," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 10(2), pages 241-257.
- Phillips, V. L., 1995. "Nurses' labor supply: Participation, hours of work, and discontinuities in the supply function," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 567-582, December.
- Sloan, Frank A. & Hsieh, Chee-Ruey, 2012. "Student Solutions Manual to Accompany Health Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262517906, March.
- Christopher Ferrall & Allan W. Gregory & William Tholl, 1998. "Endogenous Work Hours and Practice Patterns of Canadian Physicians," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Joseph P. Newhouse, 1992. "Medical Care Costs: How Much Welfare Loss?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 3-21, Summer.
- Rizzo, John A. & Blumenthal, David, 1994. "Physician labor supply: Do income effects matter?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 433-453.
- Jonathan Gruber & Maria Owings, 1996.
"Physician Financial Incentives and Cesarean Section Delivery,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(1), pages 99-123, Spring.
- Jonathan Gruber & Maria Owings, 1994. "Physician Financial Incentives and Cesarean Section Delivery," NBER Working Papers 4933, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan Erik Askildsen & Badi H. Baltagi & Tor Helge Holmås, 2003. "Wage policy in the health care sector: a panel data analysis of nurses' labour supply," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(9), pages 705-719.
- Hirsch, Barry T. & Schumacher, Edward J., 1995.
"Monopsony power and relative wages in the labor market for nurses,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 443-476, October.
- Hirsch, B.T. & Schumacher, E.J., 1993. "Monopsony Power and Relative Wages in the Labor Market for Nurses," Working Papers 1993_06_03, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
- Frank A. Sloan, 1975. "Physician Supply Behavior in the Short Run," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 28(4), pages 549-569, July.
- Showalter, Mark H. & Thurston, Norman K., 1997. "Taxes and labor supply of high-income physicians," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 73-97, October.
- Adam Wagstaff & Magnus Lindelow & Shiyong Wang & Shuo Zhang, 2009. "Reforming China's Rural Health System," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2646, June.
- Stock, James H & Wright, Jonathan H & Yogo, Motohiro, 2002. "A Survey of Weak Instruments and Weak Identification in Generalized Method of Moments," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 518-529, October.
- James Thornton & B. Kelly Eakin, 1997. "The Utility-Maximizing Self-Employed Physician," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(1), pages 98-128.
- Sun, Xiaoyun & Jackson, Sukhan & Carmichael, Gordon A. & Sleigh, Adrian C., 2009. "Prescribing behaviour of village doctors under China's New Cooperative Medical Scheme," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 68(10), pages 1775-1779, May.
- Bound, John, et al, 1994. "Evidence on the Validity of Cross-Sectional and Longitudinal Labor Market Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(3), pages 345-368, July.
- George J. Borjas, 1980. "The Relationship between Wages and Weekly Hours of Work: The Role of Division Bias," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 15(3), pages 409-423.
- Yu, Xuan & Li, Cheng & Shi, Yuhua & Yu, Min, 2010. "Pharmaceutical supply chain in China: Current issues and implications for health system reform," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 8-15, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Qin, Xuezheng & Hsieh, Chee-Ruey, 2014. "Economic growth and the geographic maldistribution of health care resources: Evidence from China, 1949-2010," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 228-246.
More about this item
KeywordsHealth care professionals; Labor supply; Wage elasticity; China;
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- J44 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Professional Labor Markets and Occupations
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:chieco:v:24:y:2013:i:c:p:150-164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/chieco .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.