Has China displaced other Asian countries' exports?
This paper uses gravity modelling to explore whether and how the growth of China's exports is displacing exports of other Asian countries to third markets over the period 1990-2003. Chinese exports are defined both narrowly and more broadly to include exports from Hong Kong. We investigate whether the displacement effect on Asian exports differs when exports from Hong Kong and China are combined compared to the narrow case of Chinese exports only. Aggregate and disaggregated analyses are undertaken. In the latter, we explore whether the displacement effect varies across Asian countries and in trade with different types of countries. We find evidence of a displacement effect which is more pronounced in developed markets and stronger for Hong Kong and China combined. Further it is the high income Asian exporters that experienced a greater displacement effect. We also investigate whether China's development has generated any offsetting effects on its neighbours' exports to China itself and find that Chinese growth has indeed increased China's imports from the Asian countries in the sample and in particular from Japan and Korea.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lall, Sanjaya & Albaladejo, Manuel, 2004.
"China's Competitive Performance: A Threat to East Asian Manufactured Exports?,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1441-1466, September.
- Sanjaya Lall and Manuel Albaladejo (QEH), . "China’s Competitive Performance: A Threat To East Asian Manufactured Exports?," QEH Working Papers qehwps110, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Simon J. Evenett & Wolfgang Keller, 1996.
"On Theories Explaining the Success of the Gravity Equation,"
9608001, EconWPA, revised 13 Jun 1997.
- Simon J. Evenett & Wolfgang Keller, 2002. "On Theories Explaining the Success of the Gravity Equation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(2), pages 281-316, April.
- Evenett, S. J. & Keller, W., 1994. "On Theories Explaining the Success of the Gravity Equation," Working papers 9713, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Simon J. Evenett & Wolfgang Keller, 1998. "On Theories Explaining the Success of the Gravity Equation," NBER Working Papers 6529, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Volker Nitsch, 2002. "Honey, I Shrunk the Currency Union Effect on Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(4), pages 457-474, 04.
- Alan G. Ahearne & John G. Fernald & Prakash Loungani & John W. Schindler, 2003.
"China and emerging Asia: comrades or competitors?,"
Working Paper Series
WP-03-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Elena Ianchovichina & Terrie Walmsley, 2005.
"Impact of China's WTO Accession on East Asia,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(2), pages 261-277, 04.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Robert C. Feenstra, 2001.
"Intermediaries in Entrepot Trade: Hong Kong Re-Exports of Chinese Goods,"
NBER Working Papers
8088, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 2004. "Intermediaries in Entrepot Trade: Hong Kong Re-Exports of Chinese Goods," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 3-35, 03.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
- Peter Egger, .
"An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Peter Egger, 2002. "An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 297-312, 02.
- Alan Deardorff, 1998.
"Determinants of Bilateral Trade: Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?,"
in: The Regionalization of the World Economy, pages 7-32
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan V. Deardorff, 1995. "Determinants of Bilateral Trade: Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?," NBER Working Papers 5377, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1995. "Determinants of Bilateral Trade : Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?," Papers 95-05, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Arvind Subramanian & Shang-Jin Wei, 2003.
"The WTO Promotes Trade, Strongly But Unevenly,"
NBER Working Papers
10024, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engelbrecht, Hans-Jurgen & Pearce, Christopher, 2004. "The Gatt/Wto Has Promoted Trade, But Only In Capital-Intensive Commodities!," Discussion Papers 23707, Massey University, Department of Applied and International Economics.
- John F. Helliwell, 1995.
"Do National Borders Matter for Quebec's Trade?,"
NBER Working Papers
5215, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Douglas Marcouiller, S.J., 1999.
"Insecurity and the Pattern of Trade: An Empirical Investigation,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
418, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 03 Aug 2000.
- James E. Anderson & Douglas Marcouiller, 2002. "Insecurity And The Pattern Of Trade: An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 342-352, May.
- F. Gerard Adams & Byron Gangnes & Yochanan Shachmurove, 2004. "How the Dragon Captured the World Export Markets: Outsourcing and Foreign Investment Lead the Way," PIER Working Paper Archive 04-042, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2002.
"Do We Really KNow that the WTO Increases Trade?,"
182002, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Fernald, John & Edison, Hali & Loungani, Prakash, 1999. "Was China the first domino? Assessing links between China and other Asian economies," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 515-535, August.
- Ianchovichina, Elena, 2001.
"Trade Liberalization in China’s Accession to WTO,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 16, pages 421-445.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Martin, Will, 2001. "Trade liberalization in China's accession to the World Trade Organization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2623, The World Bank.
- Barry Eichengreen & Yeongseop Rhee & Hui Tong, 2004. "The Impact of China on the Exports of Other Asian Countries," NBER Working Papers 10768, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment and European Integration in the 1990s," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(1), pages 99-110, 01.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2002. "Honey, the Currency Union Effect on Trade Hasn't Blown Up," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(4), pages 475-479, 04.
- Yaroslav D Lissovolik & Bogdan Lissovolik, 2004. "Russia and the WTO; The "Gravity" of Outsider Status," IMF Working Papers 04/159, International Monetary Fund.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- Subhash Sharma & Soo Chua, 2000. "ASEAN: economic integration and intra-regional trade," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 165-169.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Technology, Geography, and Trade," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1741-1779, September.
- Shafaeddin, S. M., 2004. "Is China's accession to WTO threatening exports of developing countries?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 109-144, January.
- Eromenko, Igor & Mankovska, Nadiya & Dean, James W, 2003. "Will WTO membership really improve market access for Ukrainian exports?," MPRA Paper 67481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:chieco:v:19:y:2008:i:2:p:152-169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.