A new institutional approach to pro-poor agricultural development: Lessons from Asia
Dr. Naya has been one of only two instructors of a course unique to the University of Hawaii called, "The Economics of Cooperation." He was an early observer of deliberation councils and other institutions whereby the investment coordination problem was partly solved by extra-market cooperation in the East Asian "miracle" countries. These insights contributed to The Economics of Cooperation (1992), which featured the role of government as facilitator--a theme of Hawaii State Development Planning when Dr. Naya served on the Governor's cabinet. Reconsidering government as a facilitator, and not as a replacement for markets, is one of the primary contributions of the New Institutional Economics (NIE). This paper extends and applies the facilitation perspective to the problem of agricultural development. Policy failures are detailed and sourced to the fallacy of misplaced exogeneity. In contrast, the method of fundamental explanation, inherent in NIE, acts as a corrective to misguided interventionism that has prevented pro-poor rural development from taking place.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1973.
"Incentives and Risk-Sharing in Sharecropping,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
353, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Yujiro Hayami, 1998. "Norms and Rationality in the Evolution of Economic Systems: A View from Asian Villages," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 49(1), pages 36-53, 03.
- Lee, Chung H & Naya, Seiji, 1988. "Trade in East Asian Development with Comparative Reference to Southeast Asian Experiences," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(3), pages S123-52, Supplemen.
- Besley, Timothy, 1994.
"How Do Market Failures Justify Interventions in Rural Credit Markets?,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 27-47, January.
- Besley, T., 1992. "How Do Market Failures Justify Interventions in Rural Credit Markets?," Papers 162, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Eswaran, Mukesh & Kotwal, Ashok, 1986. "Access to Capital and Agrarian Production Organisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(382), pages 482-98, June.
- Thomas Reardon & C. Peter Timmer & Christopher B. Barrett & Julio Berdegué, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1140-1146.
- Timmer, C. Peter, 1989. "Food price policy : The rationale for government intervention," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 17-27, February.
- Frisvold, George B., 1994. "Does supervision matter? Some hypothesis tests using Indian farm-level data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 217-238, April.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1969. "Information and Efficiency: Another Viewpoint," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(1), pages 1-22, April.
- Roumasset, James & Uy, Marilou, 1980. "Piece rates, time rates, and teams : Explaining patterns in the employment relation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 343-360, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Roumasset, J., 1995.
"The nature of the agricultural firm,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 161-177, March.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, December.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1986. "Externalities in Economies with Imperfect Information and Incomplete Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(2), pages 229-264.
- James, William E. & Roumasset, James A., 1979.
"Explaining Variations In Share Contracts: Land Quality, Population Pressure And Technological Change,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 23(02), August.
- William E. James & James A. Roumasset, 1979. "Explaining Variations In Share Contracts: Land Quality, Population Pressure And Technological Change," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 23(2), pages 116-127, 08.
- James P. Roumasset, 2004.
"Rural Institutions, Agricultural Development, and Pro-Poor Economic Growth,"
Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development,
Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture, vol. 1(1), pages 61-82, June.
- Roumasset, James, 1. "Rural Institutions, Agricultural Development, and Pro-Poor Economic Growth," Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development, Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA), vol. 1(1).
- North, Douglass C & Wallis, John Joseph, 1982. "American Government Expenditures: A Historical Perspective," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(2), pages 336-40, May.
- Arsenio M Balisacan, 2004.
"Averting Hunger and Food Insecurity in Asia,"
Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development,
Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture, vol. 1(1), pages 39-60, June.
- Reid, Joseph D, Jr, 1976. " Sharecropping and Agricultural Uncertainty," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 549-76, April.
- Roumasset, James, 1978. "The new institutional economics and agricultural organization," MPRA Paper 13175, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benjamin, Dwayne, 1992. "Household Composition, Labor Markets, and Labor Demand: Testing for Separation in Agricultural Household Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 287-322, March.
- Wright, Brian D. & Williams, Jeffrey C., 1990. "The Behavior of Markets for Storable Commodities," 1990 Conference (34th), February 13-15, 1990, Brisbane, Australia 145482, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Bardhan, Pranab & Udry, Christopher, 1999. "Development Microeconomics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773719, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:asieco:v:19:y:2008:i:5-6:p:378-388. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.