Water reuse for irrigation in Jordan: Perceptions of water quality among farmers
The reuse of treated wastewater (reclaimed water) for irrigation is a valuable strategy to maximise available water resources, but the often marginal quality of the water can present agricultural challenges. Semi-structured interviews were held with Jordanian farmers to explore how they perceive the quality of reclaimed water. Of the 11 farmers interviewed who irrigate with reclaimed water directly near treatment plants, 10 described reclaimed water either positively or neutrally. In contrast, 27 of the 39 farmers who use reclaimed water indirectly, after it is blended with fresh water, viewed the resource negatively, although 23 of the indirect reuse farmers also recognised the nutrient benefits. Farmer perception of reclaimed water may be a function of its quality, but consideration should also be given to farmers' capacity to manage the agricultural challenges associated with reclaimed water (salinity, irrigation system damage, marketing of produce), their actual and perceived capacity to control where and when reclaimed water is used, and their capacity to influence the quality of the water delivered to the farm.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajsic, Predrag & Weersink, Alfons, 2008. "Do farmers waste fertilizer? A comparison of ex post optimal nitrogen rates and ex ante recommendations by model, site and year," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 97(1-2), pages 56-67, April.
- Molle, François & Venot, Jean-Philippe & Hassan, Youssef, 2008. "Irrigation in the Jordan Valley: Are water pricing policies overly optimistic?," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 95(4), pages 427-438, April.
- Rutkowski, Thomas & Raschid-Sally, Liqa & Buechler, Stephanie, 2007. "Wastewater irrigation in the developing world--Two case studies from the Kathmandu Valley in Nepal," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 88(1-3), pages 83-91, March.
- Keraita, Bernard & Drechsel,Pay & Seidu, R. & Amerasinghe, Priyanie & Cofie, Olufunke O. & Konradsen, F., 2010. "Harnessing farmers\u2019 knowledge and perceptions for health-risk reduction in wastewater-irrigated agriculture," IWMI Books, Reports H042617, International Water Management Institute.
- Menegaki, Angeliki N. & Mellon, Robert C. & Vrentzou, Anna & Koumakis, George & Tsagarakis, Konstantinos P., 2009. "What's in a name: Framing treated wastewater as recycled water increases willingness to use and willingness to pay," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 285-292, June.
- Mojid, M.A. & Wyseure, G.C.L. & Biswas, S.K. & Hossain, A.B.M.Z., 2010. "Farmers' perceptions and knowledge in using wastewater for irrigation at twelve peri-urban areas and two sugar mill areas in Bangladesh," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 79-86, December.
- Toze, Simon, 2006. "Reuse of effluent water--benefits and risks," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 80(1-3), pages 147-159, February.
- Menegaki, Angeliki N. & Hanley, Nick & Tsagarakis, Konstantinos P., 2007. "The social acceptability and valuation of recycled water in Crete: A study of consumers' and farmers' attitudes," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 7-18, April.
- Duran-Ros, M. & Puig-Bargués, J. & Arbat, G. & Barragán, J. & Cartagena, F. Ramírez de, 2009. "Effect of filter, emitter and location on clogging when using effluents," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 67-79, January.
- Haefele, S. M. & Wopereis, M. C. S. & Ndiaye, M. K. & Kropff, M. J., 2003. "A framework to improve fertilizer recommendations for irrigated rice in West Africa," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 313-335, April.
- Qadir, M. & Wichelns, D. & Raschid-Sally, L. & McCornick, P.G. & Drechsel, P. & Bahri, A. & Minhas, P.S., 2010. "The challenges of wastewater irrigation in developing countries," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(4), pages 561-568, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agiwat:v:98:y:2011:i:5:p:847-854. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.