Price induced irrigation water saving: Unraveling conflicts and synergies between European agricultural and water policies for a Greek Water District
The 2003 CAP reform considerably affects cropping patterns in European agriculture. At the same time the imperatives of the Water Framework Directive (WFD) are expected to modify irrigation decisions especially in Southern Europe where irrigated agriculture utilizes about 70–80% of total water. The paper uses a nonlinear optimization model that incorporates rain-fed, irrigated and fodder crops to examine the impacts of water pricing and CAP reform on cropping patterns, water use, irrigation technology use and farm returns in the region of Thessaly, Greece. The results indicate that, although there are important trade-offs between water pricing (WFD) and decoupling (CAP reform), water use is more sensitive to water pricing in the post-reform CAP.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Llewelyn, Richard V. & Featherstone, Allen M., 1997. "A comparison of crop production functions using simulated data for irrigated corn in western Kansas," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 521-538, August.
- Bartolini, F. & Bazzani, G.M. & Gallerani, V. & Raggi, M. & Viaggi, D., 2007. "The impact of water and agriculture policy scenarios on irrigated farming systems in Italy: An analysis based on farm level multi-attribute linear programming models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 93(1-3), pages 90-114, March.
- Grimm, Sadi S. & Paris, Quirino & Williams, William A., 1987. "A Von Liebig Model For Water And Nitrogen Crop Response," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 12(02), December.
- Michael R. Moore & Noel R. Gollehon & Marc B. Carey, 1994. "Multicrop Production Decisions in Western Irrigated Agriculture: The Role of Water Price," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(4), pages 859-874.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Murray Fulton, 2002. "The Economics of Decoupled Farm Payments under Costly and Imperfect Enforcement," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 50(3), pages 297-315, November.
- Negri, Donald H. & Brooks, Douglas H., 1990. "Determinants Of Irrigation Technology Choice," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(02), December.
- Tsur, Yacov & Dinar, Ariel, 1997. "The Relative Efficiency and Implementation Costs of Alternative Methods for Pricing Irrigation Water," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(2), pages 243-62, May.
- José A. Gómez-Limón & Manuel Arriaza & Julio Berbel, 2002. "Conflicting Implementation of Agricultural and Water Policies in Irrigated Areas in the EU," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 259-281.
- Schoengold, Karina & Zilberman, David, 2007. "The Economics of Water, Irrigation, and Development," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- Peter Berck & Gloria Helfand, 1990. "Reconciling the von Liebig and Differentiable Crop Production Functions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(4), pages 985-996.
- Mouratiadou, Ioanna & Moran, Dominic, 2007. "Mapping public participation in the Water Framework Directive: A case study of the Pinios River Basin, Greece," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 66-76, April.
- Khanna, Madhu & Isik, Murat & Zilberman, David, 2002.
"Cost-effectiveness of alternative green payment policies for conservation technology adoption with heterogeneous land quality,"
Blackwell, vol. 27(2), pages 157-174, August.
- Khanna, Madhu & Isik, Murat & Zilberman, David, 2002. "Cost-effectiveness of alternative green payment policies for conservation technology adoption with heterogeneous land quality," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(2), August.
- Quirino Paris & Keith Knapp, 1989. "Estimation of von Liebig Response Functions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 71(1), pages 178-186.
- Bhaskar, Arathi & Beghin, John C., 2009.
"How Coupled Are Decoupled Farm Payments? A Review of the Evidence,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(1), April.
- Bhaskar, Arathi & Beghin, John C., 2007. "How Coupled Are Decoupled Farm Payments? A Review of the Evidence," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12841, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Guindé, Loïc & Millet, Guy & Rozakis, Stelios & Sourie, Jean-Claude & Tréguer, David, 2005. "The CAP Mid-Term Reform Impacts to French Cereal-Oriented Farms," 89th Seminar, February 2-5, 2005, Parma, Italy 232607, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Amir, I. & Fisher, F. M., 1999. "Analyzing agricultural demand for water with an optimizing model," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 45-56, July.
- Goetz, Renan U. & Martinez, Yolanda & Rodrigo, Jofre, 2008. "Water allocation by social choice rules: The case of sequential rules," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 304-314, April.
- Bauer, Siegfried & Kasnakoglu, Haluk, 1990. "Non-linear programming models for sector and policy analysis : Experiences with the Turkish agricultural sector model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 275-290, July.
- Oliver Balkhausen & Martin Banse & Harald Grethe, 2008. "Modelling CAP Decoupling in the EU: A Comparison of Selected Simulation Models and Results," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 57-71, 02.
- David Zilberman & Doug Parker, 1996. "Explaining Irrigation Technology Choices: A Microparameter Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 1064-1072.
- de Fraiture, Charlotte & Perry, C. J., 2007. "Why is agricultural water demand unresponsive at low price ranges?," IWMI Books, Reports H040602, International Water Management Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agisys:v:113:y:2012:i:c:p:28-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.