Should trade unions welcome foreign investors? First evidence from Danish matched employer-employee data
While foreign direct investment (FDI) is widely believed to have an adverse effect on the bargaining power of unions and hence on union wages, little empirical research has been done to substantiate this conjecture. The present paper aims at filling this gap by analysing the effect of foreign ownership on the union wage premium in Denmark. Using matched employer-employee data, the positive effect of plant level unionisation on wages is found to vanish in foreign-owned firm.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barth, Erling & Raaum, Oddbjorn & Naylor, Robin, 2000.
"Union Wage Effects: Does Membership Matter?,"
University of Manchester, vol. 68(3), pages 259-75, June.
- Barth, E. & Raaum, O. & Naylor, R., 1998. "Union Wage Effects: Does Membership Matter?," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 500, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Barth, E. & Naylor, R. & Raaum, O., 1995. "Union Wage Effects; Does Membership Matter?," Memorandum 09/1995, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Heyman, Fredrik & Sjöholm, Fredrik & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik, 2004.
"Is There Really A Foreign Ownership Wage Premium?Evidence From Matched Employer-Employee Data,"
EIJS Working Paper Series
206, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Heyman, Fredrik & Sjoholm, Fredrik & Tingvall, Patrik Gustavsson, 2007. "Is there really a foreign ownership wage premium? Evidence from matched employer-employee data," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 355-376, November.
- Heyman, Fredrik & Sjöholm, Fredrik & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik, 2006. "Is There Really A Foreign Ownership Wage Premium? Evidence From Matched Employer-Employee Data," EIJS Working Paper Series 230, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Heyman, Fredrik & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 2006. "Is There Really a Foreign Ownership Wage Premium? Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data," Working Paper Series 674, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Heyman, Fredrik & Sjöholm, Fredrik & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik, 2004. "Is there Really a Foreign Ownership Wage Premium? Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data," Working Paper Series 199, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Minsik Choi, 2001. "Threat Effect of Foreign Direct Investment on Labor Union Wage Premium," Working Papers wp27, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Mezzetti, C. & Dinopoulos, E., 1989.
"Domestic Unionization And Import Competition,"
337, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Moulton, Brent R, 1990. "An Illustration of a Pitfall in Estimating the Effects of Aggregate Variables on Micro Unit," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 334-38, May.
- Andrews, Martyn J. & Stewart, Mark B. & Swaffield, Joanna K. & Upward, Richard, 1998. "The estimation of union wage differentials and the impact of methodological choices," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 449-474, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-09-00150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.