Working Paper 03-11 - Niveau de décentralisation de la négociation et structure des salaires
This study aims to analyse the effects of the decentralization level of collective wage bargaining on the wage level and the wage dispersion in Belgium. For this purpose, we have constructed a composite indicator of collective bargaining decentralization, based on variables that determine collective bargaining. Our results indicate the presence of a significant wage bonus and wider wage disparity in industries where collective bargaining is decentralized. Furthermore, we compare these results with those that use as an indicator of bargaining decentralization, the presence of collective agreements at company level, a commonly used indicator in the literature. We notice that this latter indicator seems to underestimate the degree of bargaining decentralization and thus also its effects on the wage structure. One can explains this result by the fact that in Belgium, besides firm collective agreements, the bargaining system also provides mechanisms that enable firms to distance themselves from collective agreements set at industry level.
|Date of creation:||15 Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (32) 02/507.73.11
Fax: (32) 02/507.73.73
Web page: http://www.plan.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joop Hartog & Edwin Leuven & Coen N. Teulings, 2000.
"Wages and the Bargaining Regime in a Corporist Setting: The Netherlands,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-013/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hartog, Joop & Leuven, Edwin & Teulings, Coen, 2002. "Wages and the bargaining regime in a corporatist setting: the Netherlands," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 317-331, June.
- Hartog, Joop & Leuven, Edwin & Teulings, Coen N, 1997. "Wages and the Bargaining Regime in a Corporatist Setting: The Netherlands," CEPR Discussion Papers 1706, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert Plasman & Michael Rusinek & François Rycx, 2007.
"Wages and the bargaining regime under multi-level bargaining: Belgium, Denmark and Spain,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9777, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Plasman, Robert & Rusinek, Michael & Rycx, Francois, 2006. "Wages and the Bargaining Regime under Multi-level Bargaining: Belgium, Denmark and Spain," IZA Discussion Papers 1990, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert Plasman & Michael Rusinek & François Rycx, 2006. "Wages and the bargaining regime under multi-level bargaining: Belgium, Denmark and Spain," DULBEA Working Papers 06-01.RS., ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Carlo Dell'Aringa & Laura Pagani, 2007. "Collective Bargaining and Wage Dispersion in Europe," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 45(1), pages 29-54, 03.
- David Card & Thomas Lemieux & W. Craig Riddell, 2004. "Unions and Wage Inequality," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 25(4), pages 519-562, October.
- Ordine, Patrizia, 1995. "Wage drift and minimum contractual wage: Theoretical interrelationship and empirical evidence for Italy," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 335-357, December.
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Pedro Portugal, 2005. "Contractual Wages and the Wage Cushion under Different Bargaining Settings," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(4), pages 875-902, October.
- Holden, Steinar, 1989.
"Wage Drift and Bargaining: Evidence from Norway,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 56(224), pages 419-32, November.
- Michael Rusinek & François Rycx, 2008.
"Quelle est l'influence des négociations d'entreprise sur la structure des salaires?,"
DULBEA Working Papers
08-16.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michael Rusinek & François Rycx, 2008. "Quelle est l'influence des négociations d'entreprise sur la structure des salaires ?," Reflets et perspectives de la vie économique, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(3), pages 101-114.
- Michael Rusinek & François Rycx, 2008. "Quelle est l'influence des négociations d'entreprise sur la structure des salaires?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13476, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Dell'Aringa, Carlo & Lucifora, Claudio, 1994. "Collective bargaining and relative earnings in Italy," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 727-747, December.
- Kahn, Lawrence M, 1998. "Collective Bargaining and the Interindustry Wage Structure: International Evidence," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 65(260), pages 507-34, November.
- Melly, Blaise, 2005. "Decomposition of differences in distribution using quantile regression," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 577-590, August.
- José Mata & José A. F. Machado, 2005. "Counterfactual decomposition of changes in wage distributions using quantile regression," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 445-465.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpb:wpaper:1103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dominique van der Wal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.