Product-specific rules of origin in EU and US preferential trading arrangements: an assessment
Building on earlier work by Estevadeordal, we construct a synthetic index (R-index)intending to capture the restrictiveness on market access due to product specific rules of origin (PSRO)that apply at the tariff-line level. The R-index is constructed for rules of origins under NAFTA and under the single list applying to PANEURO, the new regime applying to all EU preferential trade agreements. The R-index highlights how identical PSRO have different impacts across countries, and how the complexity of PSRO varies across sectors. Having controlled for the extent of tariff preference at the tariff-line level, the R-index contributes to account for differences in utilization rates at the tariff line level. The index is then used to assess composition effects across countries subjected to some set of PSRO and to compute estimates of the compliance costs associated with rules of origin under both regimes
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 5 (2006)
Issue (Month): 02 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cambridge University Press, UPH, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 8BS UK|
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_WTR
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kala Krishna & Anne Krueger, 1995. "Implementing Free Trade Areas: Rules of Origin and Hidden Protection," NBER Working Papers 4983, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Céline Carrere & Olivier Cadot & Jaime Melo De & Alberto Portugal-Perez, 2011.
"How Much Market Access in FTAs? Textiles Under NAFTA,"
- Jaime MELO DE & Céline CARRERE & Olivier CADOT & Alberto PORTUGAL-PEREZ, 2005. "How Much Market Access in FTAs? Textiles Under NAFTA," Working Papers 200511, CERDI.
- Cadot, Olivier & Carrère, Céline & de Melo, Jaime & Portugal-Pérez, Alberto, 2005. "How Much Market Access in FTAs? Textiles Under NAFTA," CEPR Discussion Papers 5264, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brenton, Paul, 2003. "Integrating the least developed countries into the world trading system : the current impact of EU preferences under everything but arms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3018, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:wotrrv:v:5:y:2006:i:02:p:199-224_00. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.