Product Specific Rules of Origin in EU and US Preferential Trading Arrangements: An Assessment
Building on earlier work by Estevadeordal, we construct a synthetic index (R-index)intending to capture the restrictiveness on market access due to product specific rules of origin (PSRO)that apply at the tariff-line level. The R-index is constructed for rules of origins under NAFTA and under the single list applying to PANEURO, the new regime applying to all EU preferential trade agreements. The R-index highlights how identical PSRO have different impacts across countries, and how the complexity of PSRO varies across sectors. Having controlled for the extent of tariff preference at the tariff-line level, the R-index contributes to account for differences in utilization rates at the tariff line level. The index is then used to assess composition effects across countries subjected to some set of PSRO and to compute estimates of the compliance costs associated with rules of origin under both regimes
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in World Trade Review, 2006, pages 199-224|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 65 Bd. F. Mitterrand, 63000 Clermont-Ferrand|
Phone: (33-4) 73 17 74 00
Fax: (33-4) 73 17 74 28
Web page: http://cerdi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brenton, Paul, 2003. "Integrating the least developed countries into the world trading system : the current impact of EU preferences under everything but arms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3018, The World Bank.
- Céline Carrere & Olivier Cadot & Jaime Melo De & Alberto Portugal-Perez, 2011.
"How Much Market Access in FTAs? Textiles Under NAFTA,"
- Jaime MELO DE & Céline CARRERE & Olivier CADOT & Alberto PORTUGAL-PEREZ, 2005. "How Much Market Access in FTAs? Textiles Under NAFTA," Working Papers 200511, CERDI.
- Cadot, Olivier & Carrère, Céline & de Melo, Jaime & Portugal-Pérez, Alberto, 2005. "How Much Market Access in FTAs? Textiles Under NAFTA," CEPR Discussion Papers 5264, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kala Krishna & Anne Krueger, 1995. "Implementing Free Trade Areas: Rules of Origin and Hidden Protection," NBER Working Papers 4983, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdi:wpaper:678. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Mazenod)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.