The Potential for Electricity Market Restructuring in Quebec
In this paper we discuss the potential for future electricity market restructuring in Quebec. In particular, we consider the political economy of the abolishment of the Heritage Pool requirement, which caps wholesale prices. Its elimination is challenging since it would result in higher retail prices. However, if the extra revenue that would be earned from selling at the market price is properly redistributed, a majority of voters could benefit. We also examine the possibility of establishing a competitive wholesale market. The usual model of forced divestiture may not lead to a competitive outcome since most of Quebec's electricity is produced at large hydroelectric complexes cascaded on a few individual river systems. Consequently, Quebec might consider adopting the approach taken by Norway and join an expanded production pool.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 33 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8|
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amundsen, E.S. & Bergman, L., 2000. "Will Cross-Ownership Reestablish Market Power in the Nordic Power Market?," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 1900, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- BERNARD, Jean-Thomas & ROLAND, Michel, 1995.
"Rent Dissipation Through Electricity Prices of Publicly-Owned Utilities,"
Cahiers de recherche
9512, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Michel Roland, 1997. "Rent Dissipation through Electricity Prices of Publicly Owned Utilities," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1204-19, November.
- Bernard, J.T. & Roland, M., 1995. "Rent Dissipation Through Electricity Prices of Publicly-Owned Utilities," Papers 9512, Laval - Recherche en Energie.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2006.
"Markets for Power in the United States: An Interim Assessment,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 1-36.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2005. "Markets For Power In The United States - An Interim Assessment," Working Papers 0512, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Bernard, Jean-Thomas & Chatel, Josee, 1985. "The application of marginal cost pricing principles to a hydro-electric system : The case of hydro-Quebec," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 353-375, December.
- Borenstein, Severin & Bushnell, James & Knittel, Chris, 1999.
"Market Power in Electricity Markets: Beyond Concentration Measures,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
31548, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Severin Borenstein & James Bushnell & Christopher R. Knittel, 1999. "Market Power in Electricity Markets: Beyond Concentration Measures," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 65-88.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Stephen Gordon & Josee Tremblay, 1997.
"Electricity Prices and Elections in Quebec,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 505-25, August.
- Burness, H Stuart & Quirk, James P, 1979. "Appropriative Water Rights and the Efficient Allocation of Resources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 25-37, March.
- Booker J. F. & Young R. A., 1994. "Modeling Intrastate and Interstate Markets for Colorado River Water Resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 66-87, January.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:33:y:2007:i:1:p:1-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.