Chapter 2: A New Crisis Mechanism for the Euro Area
The European debt crisis followed the US financial crisis with a delay of one and a half years. While its first signs were visible in November and December of 2009 when the rating agency Fitch downgraded Ireland and Greece, it culminated on 28 April 2010 when the intra-day interest rate for two-year Greek government bonds peaked at 38 percent. Since then capital markets have been extremely unstable, showing signs of distrust in the creditworthiness of the GIPS countries: Greece, Ireland, Portugal and Spain. The European Union reacted by preparing voluminous rescue plans that, at this writing (January 2011), have been resorted to by Greece and Ireland.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): (02)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Teresa Buchen & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2011.
"Trade Imbalances – Causes, Consequences and Policy Measures: Ifo’s Statement for the Camdessus Commission,"
Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 12(1), pages 47-58, 03.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner & Buchen, T. & Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2011. "Trade imbalances - causes, consequences and policy measures: Ifo’s statement for the camdessus commission," Munich Reprints in Economics 19568, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2010.
"Casino Capitalism: How the Financial Crisis Came About and What Needs to be Done Now,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199588275, December.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2012. "Casino Capitalism: How the Financial Crisis Came About and What Needs to be Done Now," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199659883, December.
- Kornai, Janos, 1986.
"The Soft Budget Constraint,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 3-30.
- Buti,Marco & Deroose,Servaas & Gaspar,Vitor & Martins,João Nogueira (ed.), 2010. "The Euro," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9789279098420, April.
- Barry Eichengreen & Kenneth Kletzer, 2003.
"Crisis Resolution: Next Steps,"
NBER Working Papers
10095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Kletzer, Kenneth & Mody, Ashoka, 2003. "Crisis Resolution: Next Steps," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt4cj974r4, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Kenneth Kletzer & Barry J. Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody, 2003. "Crisis Resolution; Next Steps," IMF Working Papers 03/196, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry Eichengreen & Kenneth Kletzer & Ashoka Mody, 2003. "Crisis resolution: next steps," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 03-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Kletzer, Kenneth & Mody, Ashoka, 2003. "Crisis Resolution: Next Steps," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt4cj974r4, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2003. "The Laggard of Europe (CESifo Forum Vol. 4, Special Issue No. 1)," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 4(SPECIALIS), pages 01-32, October.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Kai Carstensen, 2010. "Ein Krisenmechanismus für die Eurozone," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 63, pages 01-17, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:eeagre:v::y:2011:i::p:71-96. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.