Inter-industry wage differentials and the gender wage gap in Belgium
This paper simultaneously analyses the gender wage gap and the inter-industry wage differentials in the Belgian private sector. On the basis of the 1995 Structure of Earning Survey, we estimate the inter-industry wage differentials by gender and the gender wage gap by industry. We find significant interindustry wage differentials for men and women, even when controlling for a large number of productivity-related factors. These differentials are highly correlated but significantly different. An Oaxaca (1973) and Blinder (1973) decomposition, realised at the Nace three-digit level, shows that around one-tenth of the overall gender wage gap (on average women earn 22% less than men) is due to industry effects.
Volume (Year): 45 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence Katz, 1992.
"Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-Industry Wage Differentials?,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 59(3), pages 515-535.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence F. Katz, 1989. "Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-Industry Wage Differentials?," NBER Working Papers 3182, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-293, March.
- Ilan Tojerow, 2008. "Inter-industry Wage Differentials, Rent Sharing and Gender in Belgium," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8789, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Judith Fields & Edward N. Wolff, 1995. "Interindustry Wage Differentials and the Gender Wage Gap," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 49(1), pages 105-120, October.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Oaxaca, Ronald L. & Ransom, Michael R., 1994. "On discrimination and the decomposition of wage differentials," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 5-21, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)