The Effect of Energy Prices on Iranian Industry Stock Returns
While previous studies have provided some evidence that energy prices have impact on stock returns across industries, to the best of our knowledge, it is surprising that no recent work is known about the Iran’s emerging stock market. However, the published daily data on Tehran’s industry stock indices since 2005 make such a study possible. Therefore, our study is considered very beneficial as it provides insights regarding information transmission and volatility estimation of oil and gas prices and Iranian industry equity returns. The purpose of this study is to examine the effect of oil and gas prices on Iranian industry stock returns. To this end, we analyze 35 Iranian industry indices for the period from January 2005 to March 2010. Based on the multifactor model and using time-series regressions, our findings indicate that oil prices are an important determinant of returns in the banks, credit and other financial institutions, basic metals, electric machinery and apparatus and refined petroleum products and nuclear fuel industries. The findings also suggest that gas price movements do not seem to play a role for Iranian industry stock returns except for motor vehicles and auto parts industry. Moreover, consistent with the capital asset pricing model (CAPM), the market portfolio is a significant pricing factor in most of the (studied) industry stock returns. The results of this study help domestic and potential foreign investors to understand the effect of energy price changes on Iranian industry stock returns in order to manage their portfolios effectively.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 7 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/rmeef|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernd Hayo & Ali M. Kutan, 2005.
"The impact of news, oil prices, and global market developments on Russian financial markets,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(2), pages 373-393, 04.
- Bernd Hayo & Ali M. Kutan, 2004. "The Impact of News, Oil Prices, and Global Market Developments on Russian Financial Markets," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-656, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bernd Hayo & Ali Kutan, 2004. "The Impact of News, Oil Prices, and Global Market Developments on Russian Financial Markets," Finance 0403002, EconWPA.
- Mohamed Arouri & Christophe Rault, 2010. "Oil Prices and Stock Markets: What Drives What in the Gulf Corporation Council Countries," International Economics, CEPII research center, issue 122, pages 41-56.
- Christophe Rault & ohamed El Hedi AROURI, 2009. "Oil prices and stock markets: what drives what in the Gulf Corporation Council countries?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp960, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Christophe Rault, 2010. "Oil Prices and Stock Markets: What Drives what in the Gulf Corporation Council Countries?," CESifo Working Paper Series 2934, CESifo Group Munich.
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-887, September.
- Scholes, Myron & Williams, Joseph, 1977. "Estimating betas from nonsynchronous data," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-327, December.
- Boyer, M. Martin & Filion, Didier, 2007. "Common and fundamental factors in stock returns of Canadian oil and gas companies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 428-453, May.
- M. Martin Boyer & Didier Filion, 2004. "Common and Fundamental Factors in Stock Returns of Canadian Oil and Gas Companies," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-62, CIRANO.
- Faff, Robert W. & Brailsford, Timothy J., 1999. "Oil price risk and the Australian stock market," Journal of Energy Finance & Development, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 69-87, 06.
- Seshaiah, S.V. & Behera, C., 2009. "Stock Prices And Its Relation With Crude Oil Prices And Exchange Rates in India," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
- El-Sharif, Idris & Brown, Dick & Burton, Bruce & Nixon, Bill & Russell, Alex, 2005. "Evidence on the nature and extent of the relationship between oil prices and equity values in the UK," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 819-830, November.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1989. "Business conditions and expected returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 23-49, November.
- Hamao, Yasushi, 1988. "An empirical examination of the Arbitrage Pricing Theory : Using Japanese data," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 45-61, October.
- Basher, Syed A. & Sadorsky, Perry, 2006. "Oil price risk and emerging stock markets," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 224-251, December.
- Syed A. Basher & Perry Sadorsky, 2004. "Oil price risk and emerging stock markets," International Finance 0410003, EconWPA.
- repec:cii:cepiie:2010-april-122-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Ibrahim A. Onour, 2007. "Impact of oil price volatility on Gulf Cooperation Council stock markets' return," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 31(3), pages 171-189, 09.
- Mohan Nandha & Robert Brooks, 2009. "Oil prices and transport sector returns: an international analysis," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 393-409, November.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Harvey, Campbell R, 1991. "The Variation of Economic Risk Premiums," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 385-415, April.
- François Lescaroux & Valérie Mignon, 2008. "On the influence of oil prices on economic activity and other macroeconomic and financial variables ," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 32(4), pages 343-380, December.
- François Lescaroux & Valérie Mignon, 2008. "On the Influence of Oil Prices on Economic Activity and Other Macroeconomic and Financial Variables," Working Papers 2008-05, CEPII research center.
- Sadorsky, Perry & Henriques, Irene, 2001. "Multifactor risk and the stock returns of Canadian paper and forest products companies," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3-4), pages 199-208, November.
- Oberndorfer, Ulrich, 2009. "Energy prices, volatility, and the stock market: Evidence from the Eurozone," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5787-5795, December.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Eisa Aleisa, 2004. "Dynamic Relationships among GCC Stock Markets and Nymex Oil Futures," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(2), pages 250-269, 04.
- Papapetrou, Evangelia, 2001. "Oil price shocks, stock market, economic activity and employment in Greece," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 511-532, September.
- repec:cii:cepiei:2010-april-122-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nandha, Mohan & Faff, Robert, 2008. "Does oil move equity prices? A global view," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 986-997, May.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
- Sadorsky, Perry, 1999. "Oil price shocks and stock market activity," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 449-469, October.
- Jones, Charles M & Kaul, Gautam, 1996. " Oil and the Stock Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 463-491, June.
- Roger D. Huang & Ronald W. Masulis & Hans R. Stoll, 1996. "Energy shocks and financial markets," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 1-27, 02.
- Maghyereh, A., 2004. "Oil Price Shocks and Emerging Stock Markets: A Generalized VAR Approach," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 1(2), pages 27-40. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:rmeecf:v:7:y:2011:i:1:n:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.