Trade with Time Zone Differences: Factor Market Implications
The main purpose of this study is to illustrate, with a simple two-factor (skilled labor and unskilled labor) trade model, how a time-saving improvement in business-services trade benefitting from differences in time zones can have an impact on national factor markets. For these purposes, we extend Marjit’s (2007) framework into the case with the night-shift work. By doing so, we intend to capture the situation where the night-shift work in one country is replaced by the day-shift work in another country. In other words, we will show that, trade with time zone differences will result in shifts of the relative supplies and demands for skilled labor around the globe.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 17 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1363-6669|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1363-6669|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanyal, Kalyan K, 1983. "Vertical Specialization in a Ricardian Model with a Continuum of Stages of Production," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 71-78, February.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2008.
"How Remote is the Offshoring Threat ?,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/10143, Sciences Po.
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry & Ries, John, 2007. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6542, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2009. "How remote is the offshoring threat?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00639596, HAL.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2007. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat?," Working Papers 2007-18, CEPII research center.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2008. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat ?," Working Papers hal-01066173, HAL.
- David L. Hummels & Georg Schaur, 2013.
"Time as a Trade Barrier,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 103(7), pages 2935-2959, December.
- Wilhelm Kohler, 2004. "Aspects of International Fragmentation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 793-816, November.
- Pol Antràs & Luis Garicano & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2005.
"Offshoring in a Knowledge Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
11094, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Esteban Rossi-Hansberg & Pol Antras & Luis Garicano, 2005. "Offshoring in a Knowledge Economy," 2005 Meeting Papers 196, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Pol Antràs & Luis Garicano & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2005. "Offshoring in a Knowledge Economy," Discussion Papers 04-020, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Rossi-Hansberg, Esteban & Garicano, Luis & Antras, Pol, 2006. "Offshoring in a Knowledge Economy," Scholarly Articles 3196323, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Pol Antras & Luis Garicano & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2005. "Offshoring in a Knowledge Economy," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2067, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Donald R. Davis, 1996.
"Technology, Unemployment, and Relative Wages in a Global Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
5636, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Donald R., 1998. "Technology, unemployment, and relative wages in a global economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1613-1633, November.
- Sarkar, Abhirup, 1985. "A model of trade in intermediate goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 85-98, August.
- Viet Do & Ngo Van Long, 2007.
"International Outsourcing under Monopolistic Competition: Winners and Losers,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2034, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ngo Van Long & Viet Do, 2007. "International Outsourcing under Monopolistic Competition: Winners and Losers," Departmental Working Papers 2007-06, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Marjit, Sugata & Kar, Saibal, 2009.
"Emigration, Wage Inequality and Vanishing Sectors,"
19354, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marjit, Sugata, 1987. "Trade in Intermediates and the Colonial Pattern of Trade," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(214), pages 173-184, May.
- Ronald W. Jones & Sugata Marjit, 2001. "The Role of International Fragmentation in the Development Process," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 363-366, May.
- Sugata Marjit & Biswajit Mandal, 2012. "Domestic trading costs and pure theory of international trade," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 8(2), pages 165-178, 06.
- Philipp Harms & Oliver Lorz & Dieter Urban, 2012.
"Offshoring along the production chain,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(1), pages 93-106, February.
- Philipp Harms & Oliver Lorz & Dieter M. Urban, 2009. "Offshoring along the Production Chain," CESifo Working Paper Series 2564, CESifo Group Munich.
- Philipp Harms & Oliver Lorz & Dieter Urban, 2009. "Offshoring Along the Production Chain," Working Papers 09.01, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Ronald Jones & Sugata Marjit, 2009. "Competitive trade models and real world features," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 41(1), pages 163-174, October.
- Lanfranchi, Joseph & Ohlsson, Henry & Skalli, Ali, 2002.
"Compensating wage differentials and shift work preferences,"
Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 393-398, February.
- Lanfranchi, Joseph & Ohlsson, Henry & Skalli, Ali, 2001. "COMPENSATING WAGE DIFFERENTIALS AND SHIFT WORK PREFERENCES. Evidence from France," Working Papers in Economics 55, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Kikuchi, Toru & Marjit, Sugata, 2011.
"Growth with time zone differences,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 637-640, January.
- Feenstra, Robert C & Hanson, Gordon H, 1996.
"Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 240-245, May.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1998.
"Fragmentation in Simple Trade Models,"
98-11, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001. "Fragmentation in simple trade models," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 121-137, July.
- Van Long, Ngo & Riezman, Raymond & Soubeyran, Antoine, 2005. "Fragmentation and services," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 137-152, March.
- Harris, R-G, 1996. "The Internet as a GPT : Factor Market Implications," Discussion Papers dp97-01, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Avinash K. Dixit & Gene M. Grossman, 1981.
"Trade and Protection with Multistage Production,"
NBER Working Papers
0794, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bianka Dettmer, 2011.
"International service transactions: Is time a trade barrier in a connected world?,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2011-003, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Bianka Dettmer, 2014. "International Service Transactions: Is Time a Trade Barrier in a Connected World?," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 225-254, June.
- Sugata Marjit & Rajat Acharyya, 2006. "Trade Liberalization, Skill-linked Intermediate Production and the Two-sided Wage Gap," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 203-217.
- Matsuoka, Yuji & Fukushima, Marcelo, 2009. "Time Zones, Shift Working and Outsourcing through Communications Networks," MPRA Paper 13355, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marjit, Sugata, 2007. "Trade theory and the role of time zones," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 153-160.
- repec:hrv:faseco:4784031 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1999. "The Timing of Work over Time," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(452), pages 37-66, January.
- Kostiuk, Peter F, 1990. "Compensating Differentials for Shift Work," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1054-1075, October.
- Wilhelm Kohler, 2004. "International outsourcing and factor prices with multistage production," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(494), pages 166-185, 03.
- Arnaud Costinot & Jonathan Vogel & Su Wang, 2011.
"An Elementary Theory of Global Supply Chains,"
NBER Working Papers
16936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Su Wang & Jonathan Vogel & Arnaud Costinot, 2011. "An Elementary Theory of Global Supply Chains," 2011 Meeting Papers 95, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Arnaud Costinot & Jonathan E. Vogel & Su Wang, 2011. "An Elementary Theory of Global Supply Chains," CESifo Working Paper Series 3402, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:rdevec:v:17:y:2013:i:4:p:699-711. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.