Emigration, Wage Inequality and Vanishing Sectors
Emigration leads to finite changes in structure of production and sectors vanish because they cannot pay higher wages. Does emigration of one type of labor hurt the other non-emigrating type in this set up? We demonstrate various scenarios when real income of the emigrating and the non-emigrating type do not move together and in the process generalize some of the existing results in the literature. In particular emigration can lead to a drastic change in the degree of inequality depending on which sectors survive in the post-emigration scenario.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamid Beladi & Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Shigemi Yabuuchi, 2008. "Can International Factor Mobility Reduce Wage Inequality in a Dual Economy?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 893-903, November.
- Findlay, Ronald & Jones, Ronald, 2000. "Factor bias and technical progress," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 303-308, September.
- Ronald W. Jones, 1965. "The Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 557.
- Mishra, Prachi, 2007. "Emigration and wages in source countries: Evidence from Mexico," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 180-199, January.
- Anwar, Sajid, 2006. "Factor mobility and wage inequality in the presence of specialisation-based external economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 88-93, October.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2007:i:30:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marjit, Sugata & Kar, Saibal, 2005. "Emigration and wage inequality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 141-145, July.
- Reza Oladi & Hamid Beladi, 2007. "International Migration and Real Wages," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(30), pages 1-8.
- Zafar Mahmood, 1991. "Emigration and Wages in an Open Economy: Some Evidence from Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 30(3), pages 243-262.
- Jones, Ronald W., 1996. "International trade, real wages, and technical progress: The specific-factors model," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 113-124.
- Anwar, Sajid, 2008. "Factor mobility, wage inequality and welfare," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 495-506, October.
- Anwar, Sajid, 2009. "Wage inequality, welfare and downsizing," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 75-77, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19354. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.