Inflow of labour, producer services and wage inequality
This paper examines the issue of skilled–unskilled wage inequality in the shortrun when varieties of producer services are traded. It is shown that, irrespective of the relative size of income share of capital, inflow of neither skilled nor unskilled labour affects skilled–unskilled wage inequality. However, an increase in (i) the level of competition in the services sector and (ii) relative price of the varieties of producer services can affect the level of wage inequality.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2008.
"Wage inequality in a dual economy and international mobility of factors: Do factor intensities always matter?,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1155-1164, November.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2006. "Wage Inequality in a Dual Economy and International Mobility of Factors: DO Factor Intensities always matter?," MPRA Paper 1356, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gupta, Manash Ranjan & Dutta, Priya Brata, 2010. "Skilled-unskilled wage inequality, nontraded good and endogenous supply of skilled labour: A theoretical analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 923-934, September.
- Paolo Epifani & Gino Gancia, 2002.
"The Skill Bias of World Trade,"
KITeS Working Papers
129, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Mar 2001.
- Epifani, Paolo & Gancia, Gino, 2002. "The Skill Bias of World Trade," Seminar Papers 707, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Paolo Epifani & Gino Gancia, 2004. "The Skill Bias of World Trade," Working Papers 184, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Paolo Epifani & Gino Gancia, 2004. "The skill bias of world trade," Economics Working Papers 833, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Mar 2007.
- Hamid Beladi & Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Shigemi Yabuuchi, 2008. "Can International Factor Mobility Reduce Wage Inequality in a Dual Economy?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 893-903, November.
- Yabuuchi, Shigemi & Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2007. "International migration of labour and skilled-unskilled wage inequality in a developing economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 128-137, January.
- Afonso, Oscar & Leite, Rui, 2010. "Learning-by-doing, technology-adoption costs and wage inequality," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1069-1078, September.
- Roy Chowdhury, Sahana, 2010. "Technology and outsourcing: An explanation to the rising wage gap," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 380-387, January.
- James R. Markusen & Bridget Strand, 2007.
"Trade in Business Services in General Equilibrium,"
NBER Working Papers
12816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Walde, Klaus & Wei[ss], Pia, 2007. "International competition, downsizing and wage inequality," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 396-406, November.
- Fang, Chen-ray & Huang, Li-hsuan & Wang, Ming-cheng, 2008. "Technology spillover and wage inequality," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 137-147, January.
- Kurokawa, Yoshinori, 2008.
"Fixed Cost, Number of Firms, and Skill Premium: An Alternative Source for Rising Wage Inequality,"
14014, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kurokawa, Yoshinori, 2010. "Fixed cost, number of firms, and skill premium: An alternative source for rising wage inequality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 141-144, August.
- Sajid Anwar, 2010. "Wage Inequality, Increased Competition, and Trade Liberalization: Short Run vs Long Run," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 574-581, 08.
- Beladi, Hamid & Chao, Chi-Chur, 2010. "Downsizing, wage inequality and welfare in a developing economy," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 224-228, December.
- Anwar, Sajid, 2009. "Wage inequality, welfare and downsizing," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 75-77, May.
- Marjit, Sugata & Kar, Saibal, 2005. "Emigration and wage inequality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 141-145, July.
- Sébastien Breau & David L. Rigby, 2010. "International trade and wage inequality in Canada," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(1), pages 55-86, January.
- Pacheco, Gail, 2009. "Revisiting the link between minimum wage and wage inequality: Empirical evidence from New Zealand," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 336-339, December.
- Anwar, Sajid, 2006. "Factor mobility and wage inequality in the presence of specialisation-based external economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 88-93, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:117:y:2012:i:3:p:600-603. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.