Downsizing, wage inequality and welfare in a developing economy
This paper focuses on the cost cutting effects of firm downsizing in a developing economy. Using a dualistic production structure to depict a developing economy, the impacts of downsizing on wage inequality and social welfare are examined. Downsizing is revealed to not only narrow the wage gap between skilled and unskilled labor but also to raise the level of manufactured output and reduce the unemployment ratio in the urban sector. These effects improve the social welfare of the economy.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Walde, Klaus & Wei[ss], Pia, 2007. "International competition, downsizing and wage inequality," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 396-406, November.
- J Peter Neary, 2001.
"Foreign Competition and Wage Inequality,"
200102, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:19980058 is not listed on IDEAS
- Davis, Donald R., 1998.
"Technology, unemployment, and relative wages in a global economy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1613-1633, November.
- Donald R. Davis, 1996. "Technology, Unemployment, and Relative Wages in a Global Economy," NBER Working Papers 5636, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francois, Joseph F & Nelson, Douglas, 1998.
"Trade, Technology, and Wages: General Equilibrium Mechanics,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(450), pages 1483-99, September.
- Francois, Joseph & Nelson, Doug R, 1998. "Trade, Technology and Wages: General Equilibrium Mechanics," CEPR Discussion Papers 1919, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Feenstra, Robert C & Hanson, Gordon H, 1996.
"Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 240-45, May.
- Ronald W. Jones, 1965. "The Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 557.
- Kar, Saibal & Beladi, Hamid, 2004. "Skill formation and international migration: welfare perspective of developing countries," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 35-54, January.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2009. "Internal adjustment costs in capital-intensive and labor-intensive industries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 76-77, February.
- Anwar, Sajid, 2009. "Wage inequality, welfare and downsizing," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 75-77, May.
- Adrian Wood, 1995. "How Trade Hurt Unskilled Workers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 57-80, Summer.
- Gilbert, John & Oladi, Reza, 2009. "Capital specificity, imperfect labor mobility and growth in developing economies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 113-122, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reecon:v:64:y:2010:i:4:p:224-228. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.