Environmental control, wage inequality and national welfare in a tourism economy
This paper examines the effects of stricter environmental regulation on income distribution and welfare for an open economy with inbound tourism. The pollution input is considered as a mobile factor between sectors, and a decrease in it lowers wages of skilled labor in the traded sector but can increase the wages of unskilled labor in the non-traded sector. A stricter policy on environmental controls can narrow wage inequality and increase welfare if the tourism terms-of-trade effect dominates. These results are confirmed by simulations.
Volume (Year): 22 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620165|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neary, J Peter, 2002.
"Foreign Competition and Wage Inequality,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 680-693, November.
- J. Peter Neary, 2001. "Foreign competition and wage inequality," Working Papers 200102, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Neary, J Peter, 2002. "Foreign Competition and Wage Inequality," CEPR Discussion Papers 3420, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Feenstra, Robert C & Hanson, Gordon H, 1996. "Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 240-245, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1996. "Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality," NBER Working Papers 5424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beladi, Hamid & Yabuuchi, Shigemi, 2001. "Tariff-induced capital inflow and welfare in the presence of unemployment and informal sector," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 51-60, January.
- Beladi, Hamid & Chao, Chi-Chur & Hazari, Bharat R. & Laffargue, Jean-Pierre, 2009. "Tourism and the environment," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 39-49, January.
- Bharat R. Hazari & Jean-Pierre Laffargue & Chi-Chur Chao & Hamid Beladi, 2009. "Tourism and the environment," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00645281, HAL.
- Davis, Donald R., 1998. "Technology, unemployment, and relative wages in a global economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1613-1633, November.
- Donald R. Davis, 1996. "Technology, Unemployment, and Relative Wages in a Global Economy," NBER Working Papers 5636, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chi-Chur Chao & Eden S. H. Yu, 1997. "Trade Liberalization in Oligopolistic Competition with Unemployment: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages 479-496, May.
- Francois, Joseph F & Nelson, Douglas, 1998. "Trade, Technology, and Wages: General Equilibrium Mechanics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(450), pages 1483-1499, September.
- Joseph F. Francois & Douglas Nelson, 1998. "Trade, Technology, and Wages: General Equilibrium Mechanics," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-058/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Francois, Joseph & Nelson, Doug R, 1998. "Trade, Technology and Wages: General Equilibrium Mechanics," CEPR Discussion Papers 1919, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Konishi, Hideki & Okuno-Fujiwara, Masahiro & Suzumura, Kotaro, 1990. "Oligopolistic competition and economic welfare : A general equilibrium analysis of entry regulation and tax-subsidy schemes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 67-88, June.
- Sugata Marjit & Hamid Beladi & Avik Chakrabarti, 2004. "Trade and Wage Inequality in Developing Countries," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(2), pages 295-303, April.
- Xu, Bin, 2003. "Trade liberalization, wage inequality, and endogenously determined nontraded goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 417-431, August.
- Wood Júnior, Thomaz, 1995. "Workers," RAE - Revista de Administração de Empresas, FGV-EAESP Escola de Administração de Empresas de São Paulo (Brazil), vol. 35(2), January.
- Jones, Ronald W., 2012. "Real wages and non-traded goods," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 177-185.
- Choi, E. Kwan, 2011. "To integrate with a high- or low-wage country: That is the question," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 792-799, October.
- Choi, E. Kwan, 2011. "To Integrate with a High- Or Low-Wage Country: That is the Question," Staff General Research Papers Archive 34998, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jota Ishikawa & Kazuharu Kiyono, 2006. "Greenhouse-Gas Emission Controls In An Open Economy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(2), pages 431-450, 05.
- Ronald W. Jones, 1965. "The Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 557-557.
- Adrian Wood, 1995. "How Trade Hurt Unskilled Workers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 57-80, Summer.
- Hamid Beladi & Ralph Frasca, 1999. "Pollution control under an urban binding minimum wage," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 33(4), pages 523-533. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reveco:v:22:y:2012:i:1:p:201-207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.