International Migration Of Skilled And Unskilled Labour, Welfare And Skilled-Unskilled Wage Inequality: A Simple Model
The paper shows that in a reasonable production structure for a developing economy a brain drain of skilled labour may raise the welfare of the economy while an emigration of unskilled labour is welfare reducing. Also an emigration of skilled / unskilled labour lowers the urban unemployment of unskilled labour and widens the skilled-unskilled wage-gap. The paper provides an alternative explanation for the increasing wage inequality in many less developed countries in the regime of liberalized trade and investment in terms of higher international mobility of skilled and unskilled labour during this period using a Harris-Todaro (1970) framework where the central principle of the Stolper-Samuelson theorem holds.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wood Júnior, Thomaz, 1995. "Workers," RAE - Revista de Administração de Empresas, FGV-EAESP Escola de Administração de Empresas de São Paulo (Brazil), vol. 35(2), January.
- Wood, Adrian, 1997. "Openness and Wage Inequality in Developing Countries: The Latin American Challenge to East Asian Conventional Wisdom," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 33-57, January.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish & Rodriguez, Carlos, 1975.
"Welfare-theoretical analyses of the brain drain,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 195-221, September.
- Ann Harrison & Gordon Hanson, 1999.
"Who Gains from Trade Reform? Some Remaining Puzzles,"
NBER Working Papers
6915, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harrison, Ann & Hanson, Gordon, 1999. "Who gains from trade reform? Some remaining puzzles," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 125-154, June.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Ann Harrison, 1999.
"Trade liberalization and wage inequality in Mexico,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 52(2), pages 271-288, January.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Ann Harrison, 1999. "Trade Liberalization and Wage Inequality in Mexico," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 52(2), pages 271-288, January.
- Winters, L. Alan, 2000. "Trade, Trade Policy and Poverty: What Are The Links?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2382, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras,"
NBER Working Papers
5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997. "Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Rivera-Batiz, Francisco L., 1982. "International migration, non-traded goods and economic welfare in the source country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 81-90, August.
- Quibria, M. G., 1988. "A note on international migration, non-traded goods and economic welfare in the source country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 377-387, May.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995.
"Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages,"
Department of Economics
95-14, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," Papers 95-14, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," NBER Working Papers 5121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adrian Wood, 1995. "How Trade Hurt Unskilled Workers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 57-80, Summer.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1975. "On the Welfare Aspects of International Migration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(5), pages 1065-72, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpit:0510011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.