International Factor Mobility, Skills Formation and Welfare
The paper examines the welfare consequences of an inflow of foreign capital and an emigration of skilled labour in a small open economy in terms of a four sector general equilibrium model in the presence of endogenous skill formation and imperfection in the market for unskilled labour. It finds that both foreign capital and emigration of skilled labour may be welfare-improving although the outcomes of these policies depend on the relative capital intensities of different sectors and the magnitude of imperfection in the market for unskilled labour. Measures like labour market reform and capital subsidy (or tax) to the appropriate sector may be resorted to improve national welfare and ensure higher skills formation.
|Date of creation:||18 May 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grinols, Earl L, 1991. "Unemployment and Foreign Capital: The Relative Opportunity Costs of Domestic Labour and Welfare," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(229), pages 107-121, February.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995.
"Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages,"
95-14, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," NBER Working Papers 5121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," Department of Economics 95-14, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Kar, Saibal & Beladi, Hamid, 2004. "Skill formation and international migration: welfare perspective of developing countries," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 35-54, January.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish & Rodriguez, Carlos, 1975.
"Welfare-theoretical analyses of the brain drain,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 195-221, September.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Shigemi Yabuuchi, 2005.
"Economic Liberalization And Wage Inequality In The Presence Of Labour Market Imperfection,"
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Yabuuchi, Shigemi, 2007. "Economic liberalization and wage inequality in the presence of labour market imperfection," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 592-603.
- Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1975. "On the Welfare Aspects of International Migration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(5), pages 1065-1072, October.
- Khan, M. Ali, 1982. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth with urban unemployment and specific factors of production," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 245-256, April.
- Chandra, Vandana & Khan, M Ali, 1993. "Foreign Investment in the Presence of an Informal Sector," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(237), pages 79-103, February.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2005.
"Foreign Capital, Welfare And Urban Unemployment In The Presence Of Agricultural Dualism,"
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2007. "Foreign capital, welfare and urban unemployment in the presence of agricultural dualism," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 149-165, March.
- Sugata Marjit & Hamid Beladi & Avik Chakrabarti, 2004. "Trade and Wage Inequality in Developing Countries," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(2), pages 295-303, April.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2005. "Labour Market Distortion, Technology Transfer And Gainful Effects Of Foreign Capital," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 73(2), pages 214-227, 03.
- Quibria, M. G., 1988. "A note on international migration, non-traded goods and economic welfare in the source country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 377-387, May.
- Marjit, Sugata & Kar, Saibal, 2005. "Emigration and wage inequality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 141-145, July.
- Marjit, Sugata & Beladi, Seyed Abdolhamid, 1997.
"Protection and the gainful effects of foreign capital,"
Discussion Papers, Series II
334, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Marjit, Sugata & Beladi, Hamid, 1996. "Protection and the gainful effects of foreign capital," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 311-316, December.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Diaz Alejandro, Carlos F., 1977. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 317-322, November.
- Rivera-Batiz, Francisco L., 1982. "International migration, non-traded goods and economic welfare in the source country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 81-90, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:9302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.