Foreign capital, welfare and urban unemployment in the presence of agricultural dualism
In a two sector mobile capital Harris-Todaro model, such as Corden and Findlay (1975), an inflow of foreign capital in the presence of protectionist policy is welfare deteriorating as well as unemployment accentuating. But, the developing countries have chosen liberalized investment and trade policies as their development strategies and have been able to attract a considerable amount of foreign capital during the last two decades. A relevant question is why these countries are yearning for foreign capital given its detrimental effects as predicted by the conventional theoretical literature on trade and development. This paper makes an attempt to address the above issue in terms of a three sector Harris-Todaro model with agricultural dualism and a non- traded final commodity. In the given setup, an inflow of foreign capital is likely to improve welfare and does not necessarily worsen the problem of unemployment. The paper may also be useful to explain as to why many of the developing economies have experienced ‘jobless growth’ in the liberalized regime.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N & Srinivasan, T N, 1974.
"On Reanalyzing the Harris-Todaro Model: Policy Rankings in the Case of Sector-Specific Sticky Wages,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 502-508, June.
- J. Bhagwati & T. N. Srinivasan, 1973. "On Reanalyzing the Harris-Todaro Model: Policy Rankings in the case of Sector-Specific Sticky Wages," Working papers 99, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Batra, Raveendra N & Naqvi, Nadeem, 1987. "Urban Unemployment and the Gains from Trade," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(215), pages 381-395, August.
- Yabuuchi, Shigemi, 1993. "Urban unemployment, international capital mobility and development policy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 399-403, August.
- Khan, M. Ali, 1982. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth with urban unemployment and specific factors of production," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 245-256, April.
- M. ALl KHAN, 1980. "Dynamic Stability, Wage Subsidies and the Generalized Harris-Todaro Model," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 19(1), pages 1-24.
- Hamid Beladi & Sugata Marjit, 1992. "Foreign Capital and Protectionism," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(1), pages 233-238, February.
- Beladi, H. & Marjit, S., 1992. "Foreign Capital and Protectionism," RCER Working Papers 310, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Beladi, Hamid & Yabuuchi, Shigemi, 2001. "Tariff-induced capital inflow and welfare in the presence of unemployment and informal sector," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 51-60, January.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2003. "How and how far to liberalize a developing economy with informal sector and factor market distortions," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 403-428.
- Corden, W M & Findlay, Ronald, 1975. "Urban Unemployment, Intersectoral Capital Mobility and Development Policy," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(165), pages 59-78, February.
- Beladi, Hamid & Marjit, Sugata, 1992. "Foreign capital, unemployment and national welfare," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 311-317, December.
- Gupta, Manash Ranjan, 1994. "Foreign capital, income inequality and welfare in a Harris-Todaro model," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 407-414, December.
- Yabuuchi, Shigemi, 1998. "Urban Unemployment, Factor Accumulation, and Welfare," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(1), pages 31-40, February.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Diaz Alejandro, Carlos F., 1977. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 317-322, November.
- Chaudhuri, Tamal Datta, 1989. "A theoretical analysis of the informal sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 351-355, March.
- Bhatia, Kul B, 1979. "Rural-Urban Migration and Surplus Labour," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(3), pages 403-414, November.
- Chandra, Vandana & Khan, M Ali, 1993. "Foreign Investment in the Presence of an Informal Sector," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(237), pages 79-103, February.
- Beladi, Hamid & Naqvi, Nadeem, 1988. "Urban unemployment and non-immiserizing growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 365-376, May.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1978. "Urban Employment and Wage Determination in LDC's: Trade Unions in the Harris-Todaro Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(1), pages 65-81, February.
- Gupta, Manash Ranjan, 1993. "Rural-urban migation, informal sector and development policies A theoretical analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 137-151, June.
- Grinols, Earl L, 1991. "Unemployment and Foreign Capital: The Relative Opportunity Costs of Domestic Labour and Welfare," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(229), pages 107-121, February.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-142, March.
- Gupta, Manash Ranjan, 1997. "Foreign Capital and the Informal Sector: Comments," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 353-363, May.
- Manash Ranjan Gupta, 1999. "Foreign Capital, Unemployment, Worker's Efficiency and Fair Wage," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 34(1), pages 73-87, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:japwor:v:19:y:2007:i:2:p:149-165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.