Foreign capital inflow, skilled-unskilled wage inequality and unemployment of unskilled labour in a fair wage model
This paper has developed a three-sector general equilibrium framework that explains unemployment of both skilled and unskilled labour. Unemployment of unskilled labour is of the Harris-Todaro (1970) type while unemployment of skilled labour is caused due to the validity of the FWH in the high-skill sector. There are two types of capital one of which is specific to the primary export sector while the other moves freely among the different sectors. Inflows of foreign capital of either type unambiguously improve the economic conditions of the unskilled working class. However, the effects on the skilled-unskilled wage inequality and the extent of unemployment of both types of labour crucially hinge on the properties implied by the efficiency function of the skilled workers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ann Harrison & Gordon Hanson, 1999.
"Who Gains from Trade Reform? Some Remaining Puzzles,"
NBER Working Papers
6915, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harrison, Ann & Hanson, Gordon, 1999. "Who gains from trade reform? Some remaining puzzles," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 125-154, June.
- Sugata Marjit & Hamid Beladi & Avik Chakrabarti, 2004. "Trade and Wage Inequality in Developing Countries," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(2), pages 295-303, April.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995.
"Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages,"
95-14, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," NBER Working Papers 5121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Hanson, G.H., 1995. "Foreign Investment, Outsourcing and Relative Wages," Department of Economics 95-14, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Hamid Beladi & Avik Chakrabarti & Sugata Marjit, 2010. "Skilled-Unskilled Wage Inequality And Urban Unemployment," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(4), pages 997-1007, October.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Yabuuchi, Shigemi, 2007. "Foreign Capital and Skilled-unskilled Wage Inequality in a Developing Economy with Non-traded Goods," MPRA Paper 2645, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pieter Serneels, 2007. "The Nature of Unemployment among Young Men in Urban Ethiopia," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 170-186, 02.
- George A. Akerlof & Janet L. Yellen, 1990. "The Fair Wage-Effort Hypothesis and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 255-283.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Ann Harrison, 1999.
"Trade Liberalization and Wage Inequality in Mexico,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 52(2), pages 271-288, January.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Ann Harrison, 1999. "Trade liberalization and wage inequality in Mexico," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 52(2), pages 271-288, January.
- Marjit, Sugata & Kar, Saibal, 2005. "Emigration and wage inequality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 141-145, July.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Osmani, S. R., 1990. "Wage determination in rural labour markets : The theory of implicit co-operation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 3-23, November.
- Hamid Beladi & Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Shigemi Yabuuchi, 2008. "Can International Factor Mobility Reduce Wage Inequality in a Dual Economy?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 893-903, November.
- Beyer, Harald & Rojas, Patricio & Vergara, Rodrigo, 1999. "Trade liberalization and wage inequality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 103-123, June.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2007.
"Foreign capital, welfare and urban unemployment in the presence of agricultural dualism,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 149-165, March.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2005. "Foreign Capital, Welfare And Urban Unemployment In The Presence Of Agricultural Dualism," International Trade 0510010, EconWPA.
- Yabuuchi, Shigemi & Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2007. "International migration of labour and skilled-unskilled wage inequality in a developing economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 128-137, January.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Shigemi Yabuuchi, 2005.
"Economic Liberalization And Wage Inequality In The Presence Of Labour Market Imperfection,"
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Yabuuchi, Shigemi, 2007. "Economic liberalization and wage inequality in the presence of labour market imperfection," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 592-603.
- Agell, Jonas & Lundborg, Per, 1995. "Fair Wages in the Open Economy," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(247), pages 335-51, August.
- Agell, Jonas & Lundborg, Per, 1992. "Fair wages, involuntary unemployment and tax policies in the simple general equilibrium model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 299-320, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:27:y:2010:i:1:p:477-486. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.