FDI in agricultural land, welfare and unemployment in a developing economy
The paper purports to examine the consequences of foreign direct investment (FDI) in agricultural land in a developing economy using a three-sector general equilibrium model with simultaneous existence of unemployment of both skilled and unskilled labour. The analysis finds that FDI in agriculture does not only improve national welfare unequivocally but also mitigates the unemployment problem of both types of labour. The paper theoretically justifies the desirability of flow of FDI in agriculture in the developing economies.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George A. Akerlof & Janet L. Yellen, 1990. "The Fair Wage-Effort Hypothesis and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 255-283.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2007.
"Foreign capital, welfare and urban unemployment in the presence of agricultural dualism,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 149-165, March.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2005. "Foreign Capital, Welfare And Urban Unemployment In The Presence Of Agricultural Dualism," International Trade 0510010, EconWPA.
- Khan, M. Ali, 1982. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth with urban unemployment and specific factors of production," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 245-256, April.
- Agell, Jonas & Lundborg, Per, 1992. "Fair wages, involuntary unemployment and tax policies in the simple general equilibrium model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 299-320, April.
- Beladi, Hamid & Marjit, Sugata, 1992. "Foreign capital, unemployment and national welfare," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 311-317, December.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor, 2005. "Unemployment-Poverty Tradeoffs," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,in: Jorge Restrepo & Andrea Tokman R. & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series Edi (ed.), Labor Markets and Institutions, edition 1, volume 8, chapter 5, pages 115-165 Central Bank of Chile.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard, 2004. "Unemployment - poverty trade-offs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3297, The World Bank.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Diaz Alejandro, Carlos F., 1977. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 317-322, November.
- Pieter Serneels, 2007. "The Nature of Unemployment among Young Men in Urban Ethiopia," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 170-186, 02.
- Montalvo, Jose G. & Ravallion, Martin, 2010. "The pattern of growth and poverty reduction in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 2-16, March.
- Montalvo, Jose G. & Ravallion, Martin, 2009. "The pattern of growth and poverty reduction in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5069, The World Bank.
- Agell, Jonas & Lundborg, Per, 1995. "Fair Wages in the Open Economy," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(247), pages 335-351, August.
- Hamid Beladi & Sugata Marjit, 1992. "Foreign Capital and Protectionism," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(1), pages 233-238, February.
- Beladi, H. & Marjit, S., 1992. "Foreign Capital and Protectionism," RCER Working Papers 310, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marjit, Sugata & Beladi, Hamid, 1996. "Protection and the gainful effects of foreign capital," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 311-316, December.
- Marjit, Sugata & Beladi, Seyed Abdolhamid, 1997. "Protection and the gainful effects of foreign capital," Discussion Papers, Series II 334, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Chandra, Vandana & Khan, M Ali, 1993. "Foreign Investment in the Presence of an Informal Sector," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(237), pages 79-103, February.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Shigemi Yabuuchi & Ujjaini Mukhopadhyay, 2006. "Inflow Of Foreign Capital And Trade Liberalization In A Model With An Informal Sector And Urban Unemployment," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 87-103, 02.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2005. "Labour Market Distortion, Technology Transfer And Gainful Effects Of Foreign Capital," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 73(2), pages 214-227, 03.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-142, March.
- International Labour Office., 2009. "Global employment trends : January 2009," Global Employment Trends Reports 994802393402676, International Labour Office, Economic and Labour Market Analysis Department. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)