Foreign Capital Inflow, Non-Traded Intermediary, Urban Unemployment And Welfare In A Small Open Economy: A Theoretical Analysis
The paper attempts to analyze the implications of foreign capital inflow in a small open economy with a non-traded intermediary on the welfare and urban unemployment in a three- sector Harris-Todaro (1970) framework. The standard immiserizing result of a foreign capital inflow has been found to be valid when the non-traded intermediary is solely used in the protected import-competing sector. However, if the export sector too uses the intermediary the economy may experience an improvement in its welfare and a reduction in the urban unemployment level.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Ujjaini Mukherjee, 2005.
"Removal Of Protectionism, Foreign Investment And Welfare In A Model Of Informal Sector,"
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Mukherjee, Ujjaini, 2002. "Removal of protectionism, foreign investment and welfare in a model of informal sector," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 101-116, January.
- Khan, M. Ali, 1982. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth with urban unemployment and specific factors of production," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 245-256, April.
- Chandra, Vandana & Khan, M Ali, 1993. "Foreign Investment in the Presence of an Informal Sector," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(237), pages 79-103, February.
- Beladi, Hamid & Marjit, Sugata, 1992. "Foreign capital, unemployment and national welfare," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 311-317, December.
- Grinols, Earl L, 1991. "Unemployment and Foreign Capital: The Relative Opportunity Costs of Domestic Labour and Welfare," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(229), pages 107-21, February.
- Beladi, H. & Marjit, S., 1992.
"Foreign Capital and Protectionism,"
RCER Working Papers
310, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Ujjaini Mukhopadhyay, 2002. "Economic liberalization and welfare in a model with an informal sector," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(1), pages 143-172, March.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Diaz Alejandro, Carlos F., 1977. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 317-322, November.
- Marjit, Sugata & Beladi, Seyed Abdolhamid, 1997.
"Protection and the gainful effects of foreign capital,"
Discussion Papers, Series II
334, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Marjit, Sugata & Beladi, Hamid, 1996. "Protection and the gainful effects of foreign capital," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 311-316, December.
- Gupta, Manash Ranjan, 1997. "Foreign Capital and the Informal Sector: Comments," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 353-63, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpit:0511008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.