An economic analysis of remittance of unskilled migration on skilled–unskilled wage inequality in labor host region
The present paper establishes a two-sector general equilibrium model and conduct the comparative static approach to investigate the impact exerted by an increase in the remittance rate of the unskilled migrants on the skilled–unskilled wage inequality in the labor host region. We find that the unskilled migrants increase their remittance rate to the labor outsourcing regions that will decrease the skilled–unskilled wage inequality in the labor host region.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Z. Lawrence, 1994. "Trade, Multinationals, & Labor," NBER Working Papers 4836, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Quibria, M G, 1997. "International Migration, Remittances and Income Distribution in the," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 29-46, January.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2008.
"Wage inequality in a dual economy and international mobility of factors: Do factor intensities always matter?,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1155-1164, November.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2006. "Wage Inequality in a Dual Economy and International Mobility of Factors: DO Factor Intensities always matter?," MPRA Paper 1356, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Donald Cox & Zekeriya Eser & Emmanuel Jimenez, 1996.
"Motives for Private Transfers over the Life Cycle: An Analytical Framework and Evidence for Peru,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
327., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Cox, Donald & Eser, Zekeriya & Jimenez, Emmanuel, 1998. "Motives for private transfers over the life cycle: An analytical framework and evidence for Peru," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 57-80, February.
- Marjit, Sugata & Kar, Saibal, 2005. "Emigration and wage inequality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 141-145, July.
- Zhong Zhao, 2005. "Migration, Labor Market Flexibility, and Wage Determination in China: A Review," Labor and Demography 0507009, EconWPA.
- Fang, Chen-ray & Huang, Li-hsuan & Wang, Ming-cheng, 2008. "Technology spillover and wage inequality," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 137-147, January.
- Yabuuchi, Shigemi & Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2007. "International migration of labour and skilled-unskilled wage inequality in a developing economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 128-137, January.
- Yabuuchi, Shigemi & Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2009. "Skill Formation, Capital Adjustment Cost and Wage Inequality," MPRA Paper 18381, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wood, Adrian, 1997. "Openness and Wage Inequality in Developing Countries: The Latin American Challenge to East Asian Conventional Wisdom," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 33-57, January.
- Hamid Beladi & Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Shigemi Yabuuchi, 2008. "Can International Factor Mobility Reduce Wage Inequality in a Dual Economy?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 893-903, November.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2005.
"International Migration Of Skilled And Unskilled Labour, Welfare And Skilled-Unskilled Wage Inequality: A Simple Model,"
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2004. "International Migration of Skilled and Unskilled Labour, Welfare and Skilled-unskilled Wage Inequality: a Simple Model," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 19, pages 726-741.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Yabuuchi, Shigemi, 2007.
"Economic liberalization and wage inequality in the presence of labour market imperfection,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 592-603.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Shigemi Yabuuchi, 2005. "Economic Liberalization And Wage Inequality In The Presence Of Labour Market Imperfection," International Trade 0510008, EconWPA.
- Djajic, Slobodan, 1998. "Emigration and welfare in an economy with foreign capital," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 433-445, August.
- Sugata Marjit & Hamid Beladi & Avik Chakrabarti, 2004. "Trade and Wage Inequality in Developing Countries," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(2), pages 295-303, April.
- Edgar R. Rodriguez, 1996. "International Migrants' Remittances in the Philippines," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 427-32, April.
- Xiaochun Li & Xiaoying Qian, 2011. "Economic Analysis On The Urban–Rural Disparity In Human Capital In China," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 79(2), pages 146-160, 06.
- McCormick, Barry & Wahba, Jackline, 2000. "Overseas Employment and Remittances to a Dual Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(463), pages 509-34, April.
- Anwar, Sajid, 2006. "Factor mobility and wage inequality in the presence of specialisation-based external economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 88-93, October.
- Alejandra Cox Edwards & Manuelita Ureta, 2003. "International Migration, Remittances, and Schooling: Evidence from El Salvador," NBER Working Papers 9766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edwards, Alejandra Cox & Ureta, Manuelita, 2003. "International migration, remittances, and schooling: evidence from El Salvador," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 429-461, December.
- Edgard R. Rodriguez & Susan Horton, 1995. "International Return Migration and Remittances in the Philippines," Working Papers horton-95-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Anwar, Sajid & Rice, John, 2009. "Labour mobility and wage inequality in the presence of endogenous foreign investment," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1135-1139, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:33:y:2013:i:c:p:428-432. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.