Fair wages, Urban Unemployment and Welfare in a Developing Economy
This paper studies the impact of pay fairness on factor income and social welfare in a developing economy with both modern urban and traditional rural sectors. When urban workers become aware of income fairness, they use the expected urban wage and weighted average returns to capitalists as their reference pay. This perception of fairness raises the urban wage and enlarges the wage gap between the urban and rural sectors. The ensuing above market-clearing wage rate causes urban unemployment. Greater wage fairness worsens urban unemployment and lowers social welfare in the economy.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George A. Akerlof, 1982. "Labor Contracts as Partial Gift Exchange," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(4), pages 543-569.
- Panos Hatzipanayotou & Michael S. Michael, 2001. "Public Goods, Tax Policies, and Unemployment in LDCs," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(1), pages 107-119, July.
- Gilbert, John & Oladi, Reza, 2009. "Capital specificity, imperfect labor mobility and growth in developing economies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 113-122, January.
- Reza Oladi, 2004. "Strategic quotas on foreign investment and migration," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 24(2), pages 289-306, August.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2009. "Internal adjustment costs in capital-intensive and labor-intensive industries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 76-77, February.
- Solow, Robert M., 1979. "Another possible source of wage stickiness," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 79-82.
- Kar, Saibal & Beladi, Hamid, 2004. "Skill formation and international migration: welfare perspective of developing countries," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 35-54, January.
- Sugata Marjit & Hamid Beladi & Avik Chakrabarti, 2004. "Trade and Wage Inequality in Developing Countries," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(2), pages 295-303, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-10-00674. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.