Skilled-unskilled wage inequality and offshore outsourcing with asymmetric adjustment costs
We present a model that can capture the effects of offshore outsourcing on the wedge between the wages of skilled and unskilled workers when costs of adjustment are asymmetric. We identify conditions under which offshore outsourcing activities widen the skilled-unskilled wage inequality in the presence of asymmetric adjustment costs. We show how a higher cost of adjustment in the import-competing sector can magnify the offshore outsourcing induced gap between the wages of the skilled and unskilled workers. We also demonstrate the sensitivity of the effects of offshore outsourcing, on the skilled-unskilled wage gap, to asymmetries in the costs of adjustment.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julia K. Thomas, 2002.
"Is Lumpy Investment Relevant for the Business Cycle?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(3), pages 508-534, June.
- Julia K. Thomas, 2002. "Is lumpy investment relevant for the business cycle?," Staff Report 302, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Julia K. Thomas, . "Is Lumpy Investment Relevant for the Business Cycle?," GSIA Working Papers 1998-E250, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Russell W. Cooper & John C. Haltiwanger, 2000.
"On the Nature of Capital Adjustment Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
7925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S & Rotemberg, Julio J, 1983.
" Dynamic Factor Demands under Rational Expectations,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 223-38.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Rotemberg, Julio., 1982. "Dynamic factor demands under rational expectations," Working papers 1351-82., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Robert S. Pindyck & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1982. "Dynamic Factor Demands Under Rational Expectations," NBER Working Papers 1015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2009. "Internal adjustment costs in capital-intensive and labor-intensive industries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 76-77, February.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1996.
"Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
5424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R, 1988. "Estimation of the Internal Adjustment Costs Model Using Longitudinal Establishment Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 421-30, August.
- Ronald W. Jones & Sugata Marjit, 2001. "The Role of International Fragmentation in the Development Process," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 363-366, May.
- Ronald W. Jones, 1965. "The Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 557.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I., 1988. "Dynamic factor demands and adjustment costs: An analysis of bell Canada's Technology," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 5-24.
- Kolstad, Charles D & Lee, Jong-Kun, 1993. "The Specification of Dynamics in Cost Function and Factor Demand Estimation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 721-26, November.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998.
"Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Kierzkowski, Henryk, 2005. "Outsourcing and fragmentation: Blessing or threat?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 233-235.
- Ronald W. Jones, 2000. "Globalization and the Theory of Input Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026210086x, June.
- David Hummels & Dana Rapoport & Kei-Mu Yi, 1998. "Vertical specialization and the changing nature of world trade," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jun, pages 79-99.
- Wolfson, P, 1993. "Compositional Change, Aggregation, and Dynamic Factor Demand: Estimates on a Panel of Manufacturing Firms," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 129-48, April-Jun.
- Neary, J Peter, 2006.
"Trade Costs and Foreign Direct Investment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5933, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Yabuuchi, Shigemi, 2007. "Foreign Capital and Skilled-unskilled Wage Inequality in a Developing Economy with Non-traded Goods," MPRA Paper 2645, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sugata Marjit & Hamid Beladi & Avik Chakrabarti, 2004. "Trade and Wage Inequality in Developing Countries," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(2), pages 295-303, April.
- Steven A. Barnett & Plutarchos Sakellaris, 1999. "A New Look At Firm Market Value, Investment, And Adjustment Costs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 250-260, May.
- Avik Chakrabarti, 2006. "Factor price equalization beyond a “cubic” world," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 483-491, January.
- Sanjib Sarker & John Gilbert & Reza Oladi, 2008. "Adjustment Costs and Immiserizing Growth in LDCs," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 779-791, November.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2004. "Asymmetric adjustment costs in simple general equilibrium models," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 63-73, February.
- Jones, Ronald & Kierzkowski, Henryk & Lurong, Chen, 2005. "What does evidence tell us about fragmentation and outsourcing?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 305-316.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reveco:v:19:y:2010:i:2:p:340-345. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.