Distance, production, virtual trade and growth: A note
This paper argues that distance is not necessarily harmful to trade. It is shown that there may be an increase in the production and volume of trade if time zones of the trading nations are non-overlapping. This implies a positive effect of distance on the volume of trade in general and virtual trade in particular. It is also shown that exploitation of time zone differences raises welfare and ensures capital accumulation. The paper builds on the emerging literature on time zones and pure theory of international trade.
Volume (Year): 9 (2015)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry & Ries, John, 2009.
"How remote is the offshoring threat?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 429-444, May.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2007. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat?," Working Papers 2007-18, CEPII research center.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2008. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat ?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/10143, Sciences Po.
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry & Ries, John, 2007. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6542, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2009. "How remote is the offshoring threat?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00639596, HAL.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2008. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat ?," Working Papers hal-01066173, HAL.
- Alan V. Deardorff, 2014. "Local comparative advantage: Trade costs and the pattern of trade," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 10(1), pages 9-35, March.
- Alan V Deardorff, 2004. "Local Comparative Advantage: Trade Costs and the Pattern of Trade," Working Papers 500, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2005. "Assessing the impact of communication costs on international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 428-445, December.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2002. "Assessing the impact of communication costs on international trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2929, The World Bank.
- Toru Kikuchi & Sugata Marjit & Biswajit Mandal, 2013. "Trade with Time Zone Differences: Factor Market Implications," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(4), pages 699-711, November.
- Kikuchi, Toru & Marjit, Sugata & Mandal, Biswajit, 2011. "Trade with Time Zone Differences: Factor Market Implications," MPRA Paper 37931, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2012.
- Kikuchi, Toru & Marjit, Sugata, 2011. "Trade with time zone differences: factor market implications," MPRA Paper 30788, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Toru Kikuchi & Sugata Marjit & Biswajit Mandal, 2012. "Trade with Time Zone Differences:Factor Market Implications," Discussion Papers Series 462, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Edward Anderson, 2014. "Time differences, communication and trade: longitude matters II," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 150(2), pages 337-369, May.
- Falvey, Rodney E, 1976. "Transport Costs in the Pure Theory of International Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(343), pages 536-550, September.
- James H. Cassing, 1978. "Transport Costs in International Trade Theory: A Comparison with the Analysis of Nontraded Goods," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 92(4), pages 535-550. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifweej:20151. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.