A copula model for dependent competing risks
Many popular estimators for duration models require independent competing risks or independent censoring. In contrast, copula-based estimators are also consistent in the presence of dependent competing risks. We suggest a computationally convenient extension of the copula graphic estimator to a model with more than two dependent competing risks. We analyse the applicability of this estimator by means of simulations and unemployment duration data from Germany. We obtain evidence that our estimator yields nice results if the dependence structure is known and that it is a powerful tool for the assessment of the relevance of (in-)dependence assumptions in applied duration research. Copyright (c) 2010 Royal Statistical Society.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 59 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 12 Errol Street, London EC1Y 8LX, United Kingdom|
Web page: http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/journal/rssc
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://ordering.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/subs.asp?ref=1467-9876&doi=10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9876|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2003. "The identifiability of the mixed proportional hazards competing risks model," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(3), pages 701-710.
- Arntz, Melanie & Lo, Simon M. S. & Wilke, Ralf A., 2007.
"Bounds analysis of competing risks : a nonparametric evaluation of the effect of unemployment benefits on migration in Germany,"
200704_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Wilke, Ralf A. & Lo, Simon M. S. & Arntz, Melanie, 2007. "Bounds Analysis of Competing Risks: A Nonparametric Evaluation of the Effect of Unemployment Benefits on Imigration in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-049, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2001. "Duration models: specification, identification and multiple durations," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 55, pages 3381-3460 Elsevier.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2000. "Duration Models: Specification, Identification, and Multiple Durations," MPRA Paper 9446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Zimmer, David M. & Trivedi, Pravin K., 2006. "Using Trivariate Copulas to Model Sample Selection and Treatment Effects: Application to Family Health Care Demand," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 63-76, January.
- Rivest, Louis-Paul & Wells, Martin T., 2001. "A Martingale Approach to the Copula-Graphic Estimator for the Survival Function under Dependent Censoring," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 138-155, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)