Ownership Concentration and Share Valuation
Concentrated ownership of large listed companies is widespread throughout the world, and Germany is typical in this respect. This paper proposes a method of distinguishing empirically between the beneficial and harmful effects of ownership concentration, and applies it to German data. The results show that, for most types of largest shareholder, the beneficial effects on minority shareholders of increased ownership (greater monitoring of management, and reduced incentives to exploit minority shareholders due to greater cash-flow rights) are at least as large as, and sometimes significantly larger than, the harmful effect (greater private benefits of control due to greater control rights). Copyright Verein für Socialpolitik and Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2004.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 5 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (05)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6485|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1465-6485|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jenkinson, Tim & Ljungqvist, Alexander, 2001.
"The role of hostile stakes in German corporate governance,"
Journal of Corporate Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 397-446, December.
- Tim Jenkinson & Alexander Ljungqvist, 1999. "The Role of Hostile Stakes in German Corporate Governance," OFRC Working Papers Series 1999fe02, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Larry H. P. Lang & Mara Faccio & Leslie Young, 2001. "Dividends and Expropriation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 54-78, March.
- repec:hrv:faseco:30728046 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hrv:faseco:30747165 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hrv:faseco:30747162 is not listed on IDEAS
- Faccio, Mara & Lang, Larry H. P., 2002. "The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 365-395, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)