Testing aggregation consistency across geography and commodities
Consistent aggregation of production data across commodities and Western USA states was tested using Lewbel's generalised composite commodity theorem. The applicability of the generalised composite commodity theorem for testing consistent geographic aggregation was demonstrated and applied to two groups of states. Consistent commodity aggregation was tested in each state for two output groups and three input groups and in one state for a larger number of groups. Most tests for commodity aggregation supported consistent aggregation of inputs but not outputs. Consistent geographic aggregation was supported for each output and input category across Pacific Northwest states but only for inputs across all Western states. Copyright Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society Inc. and Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2004.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 48 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (09)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-8489
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://ordering.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/subs.asp?ref=1467-8489&doi=10.1111/(ISSN)1467-8489|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Polson, Rudolph A. & Shumway, C. Richard, 1990. "Structure Of South Central Agricultural Production," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- M. H. Pesaran & R. G. Pierse & M. S. Kumar, 1988.
"Econometric Analysis of Aggregation in the Context of Linear Prediction Models,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
485, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Pierse, Richard G & Kumar, Mohan S, 1989. "Econometric Analysis of Aggregation in the Context of Linear Prediction Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 861-88, July.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1992.
"Approximate Asymptotic Distribution Functions for Unit Roots and Cointegration Tests,"
861, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1994. "Approximate Asymptotic Distribution Functions for Unit-Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(2), pages 167-76, April.
- Shumway, C. Richard & Davis, George C., 2000.
"Does Consistent Aggregation Really Matter?,"
Ag Econ Series
12966, Washington State University, School of Economic Sciences.
- Shumway, C. Richard & Davis, George C., 2001. "Does consistent aggregation really matter?," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(2), June.
- George C. Davis, 2003. "The Generalized Composite Commodity Theorem: Stronger Support in the Presence of Data Limitations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 476-480, May.
- Karagiannis, G. & Mergos, G. J., 2002. "Estimating theoretically consistent demand systems using cointegration techniques with application to Greek food data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 137-143, January.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Russell, Thomas, 1982. "Exact aggregation as a corollary of Richmond's theorem," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 311-314.
- Shon P. Williams & C. Richard Shumway, 1998. "Aggregation of data and profit maximization in Mexican agriculture," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 235-244, February.
- Susan M. Capalbo & Michael Denny, 1985. "Testing Long-Run Productivity Models for the Canadian and U.S. Agricultural Sectors," NBER Working Papers 1764, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barnett, William A, 1979. "Theoretical Foundations for the Rotterdam Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 109-30, January.
- Pope, Rulon D & Chambers, Robert G, 1989. "Price Aggregation When Price-Taking Firms' Prices Vary," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 297-309, April.
- Lim, Hongil & Shumway, C Richard, 1992. "Profit Maximization, Returns to Scale, and Measurement Error," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 430-38, August.
- Sckokai, Paolo & Moro, Daniele, 1996. "Direct Separability in Multi-output Technologies: An Application to the Italian Agricultural Sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(1), pages 95-116.
- Richard Blundell & Robin, J M, 1995.
"Latent separability: grouping goods without weak separability,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/09, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000. "Latent Separability: Grouping Goods without Weak Separability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 53-84, January.
- R. Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000. "Latent separability: grouping goods without weak separability," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/f0uohitsgqh, Sciences Po.
- Frank Asche & Helge Bremnes & Cathy R. Wessells, 1999.
"Product Aggregation, Market Integration, and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 568-581.
- Asche, F. & Bremnes, H. & Wessells, C.R., 1998. "Product Aggregation, Market Integration and Relationships Between Prices: an Application to World Salmon Markets," Papers 27/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Muellbauer, John, 1975. "Aggregation, Income Distribution and Consumer Demand," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 525-43, October.
- Hellerstein, Daniel, 1995. "Welfare Estimation Using Aggregate and Individual-Observations Models: A Comparison Using Monte Carlo Techniques," MPRA Paper 25267, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George C. Davis & Ni Lin & C. Richard Shumway, 2000. "Aggregation without Separability: Tests of the United States and Mexican Agricultural Production Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(1), pages 214-230.
- Eales, James S. & Hyde, Jeffrey & Schrader, Lee F., 1998. "A Note On Dealing With Poultry In Demand Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1992. "Aggregation with Log-Linear Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 635-42, July.
- Lin, Ni & Davis, George C. & Shumway, C. Richard, 1998. "Aggregation Without Separability: Tests Of U.S. And Mexican Agricultural Production Data," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20927, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:ajarec:v:48:y:2004:i:3:p:463-486. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.