Predictive Accuracy Gain from Disaggregate Sampling in ARIMA Models
We compare the forecast accuracy of autoregressive integrated moving average (ARIMA) models based on data observed with high and low frequency, respectively. We discuss how, for instance, a quarterly model can be used or predict one quarter ahead even if only annual data are available, and we compare the variance of the prediction error in this case with the variance if quarterly observations were indeed available. Results on the expected information gain are presented for a number of ARIMA models including models that describe the seasonally adjusted gross national product (GNP) series in the Netherlands. Disaggregation from annual to quarterly GNP data has reduced the variance of short-run forecast errors considerably, but furter disaggregation from quarterly to monthly data is found to hardly improve the accuracy of monthly forecasts.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 8 (1990)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.amstat.org/publications/index.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Palm, F.C. & Nijman, Th., 1982.
"Missing observations in the dynamic regression model,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0018, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Palm, Franz C & Nijman, Theo E, 1984. "Missing Observations in the Dynamic Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1415-1435, November.
- Nijman, T.E. & Palm, F.C., 1984. "Missing observations in the dynamic regression model," Other publications TiSEM 4d689d7c-4d89-4ab6-b8c3-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Nijman, T E & Palm, F C, 1986.
"The Construction and Use of Approximations for Missing Quarterly Observations: A Model-based Approach,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 4(1), pages 47-58, January.
- Nijman, T.E. & Palm, F.C., 1985. "The construction and use of approximations for missing quarterly observations : A model-based approach," Other publications TiSEM 22310454-d7c0-4639-b9a7-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1984. "Systematic sampling and temporal aggregation in time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 271-281, December.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut, 1984. "Linear transformations of vector ARMA processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 283-293, December.
- Nijman, T.E., 1985. "Missing observations in dynamic macroeconomic modeling," Other publications TiSEM e37098ab-3c29-4f7c-b860-8, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Rose, David E., 1977. "Forecasting aggregates of independent Arima processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 323-345, May.
- Geweke, John F, 1978. "Temporal Aggregation in the Multiple Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(3), pages 643-661, May.
- Robert B. Litterman, 1983.
"A random walk, Markov model for the distribution of time series,"
84, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Litterman, Robert B, 1983. "A Random Walk, Markov Model for the Distribution of Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 1(2), pages 169-173, April.
- Tiao, G. C. & Guttman, Irwin, 1980. "Forecasting contemporal aggregates of multiple time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 219-230, February.
- Fernandez, Roque B, 1981.
"A Methodological Note on the Estimation of Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 471-476, August.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "CHOWLIN: RATS procedure to distribute a series to a higher frequency using related series," Statistical Software Components RTS00036, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "DISAGGREGATE: RATS procedure to implement general disaggregation (interpolation/distribution) procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00050, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bes:jnlbes:v:8:y:1990:i:4:p:405-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.